Gibson Reissuing The Gibson G3!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassSurfer, Sep 1, 2012.

1. BassSurfer

BassSurfer Supporting Member

I was reading some information about my 1976 Gibson G3 and ran across a post over on the extremely informative Fly Guitars website.

Pretty random (in a good way) but still interesting! Pickups and body horns look different though! Would definitely want to try one out for sure!

I uploaded two pictures from the post over at FG. I will also post the link to the the original thread in which I retrieved them from.

Looks cool and is definitely exciting for us Gibson fans and for those of you who started out on these in the early 70s! :bassist:

Thanks to TB user FourNotFive, here is the official Gibson page entailing everything about the G3 Reissue!
    http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Bass/Gibson-USA/Grabber-3-70s-Tribute-Bass.aspx

Here is the original post...

Gibson is reissuing the G-3. Found out about it at a music store my friend works at here in Atlanta. He had an email only, but it had pics. The 3 pickups seem to be Gibson made, although they do have pole pieces this time, but are set up the same as the old G-3 as far as wriring/humbucking. The pickguard appears to be 1 ply black. It does have a set neck with a baked maple fingerboard, and the V / arrowhead headstock, as well as the 3 point bridge. So, like the "grabber II", it is a ripper with grabber pups in it. They will have satin black and satin honeyburst available. Comes with gig bag (no hard case) and will cost $999. I am going to be preordering one this weekend. I couldnt find it on Gibson's website yet. The email said it would be available Sept 18th.

http://forums.vintageguitarandbass.com/showthread.php?3727-NEW-GIBSON-G-3-Reissue-out-Sept-18th

Attached Files:

2. sevdog

sevdog

Ooooooooooh!

3. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Word. And the price is right too, unlike the Grabber II reissue thingy they had a few years ago.

I might have to pick one up myself.

4. BassSurfer

Exactly. It also is more "practical" in terms of pricing than the Krist Novoselic RD as well..

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassgod0dmw

Did you change your mind on getting rid of your 76'?

7. BassSurfer

PM inbound.

8. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    I have one to review on order from Sweetwater, as I understand it has a new single coil pickups. Should be be a cool bass!

9. BassSurfer

Please, please, please post a video review, pictures, whatever you can once you receive it! I am dying to hear/see it!

Love your music/videos btw! :bassist:

10. BassSurfer

Anyone else going to take a chance on this?

11. CnB77

CnB77

If only it had the other headstock

:bag:

12. BassSurfer

Very true. Despite the different looking headstock, I am just really hyped that they are reissuing this bass. The price as mentioned earlier is much more practical and realistic in comparison to the Krist Novoselic RD and the Grabber II that Gibson just released. The Gibson G3 has such a distinct sound (especially in that middle position) that these new pickups on this reissue should be interesting to say the least.

One of my favorite G3 sounds has to be this song that I will post below.
    (Especially during the bridge) As funny as it may seem to some, this CD in particular MADE me interested in playing the bass. Dookie obviously had the G3 on Longview, Welcome To Paradise, and others... but the G3 in Insomniac really shined!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPGjTAaYKXM

13. sevdog

sevdog

That's funny. If anyone remembers, in the 90's, Rippers, Grabbers and G-3's were the red-headed step-children of Gibson basses i.e. they were the ones you could get for cheap. I was a teenager and bought a Grabber over a Ripper solely based on the fact that the Grabber had the Flying V headstock (I think it was like $200) and they were the only Gibson's I could possibly afford.

14. itchy

itchy

Is the scale the same?
    I believe the Ripper/Grabber were slightly above 34", but all the reissues were just a flat 34".

15. itchy

itchy

From everything I've read, Dirnt only used the Gibson live and in the videos, and the records were all done with a Precision.

16. lokibass

lokibass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mono Cases www.monocase.com
    Ripper and grabber were originally both 34 1/2" scale basses.

17. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil Supporting Member

it reminds of the MM Big Al. I'm guessing this originally came first, though? Not sure.

In any event, that's a pretty neat looking bass; definitely a better price point than the Novoselic (and with aligned pole pieces too!), plus there's got to be plenty of tone options in those 3 p'ups. cool!

18. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups

Thanks for the kind word!

Just back from a trip with the band, I'll see what I can do about a short video once I get the bass, might be fun :)

19. bassgod0dmw

The G3 came out long before the Big Al, it was out in the 70's.

20. darkstorm

darkstorm

Needs a hard case rather then gigbag for that price. With its unusual body shape finding a case that will fit would be difficult. That would be a deal breaker for me. No hard case for it.

21. rodl2005

rodl2005

Looks cool.
    I like the diamond headstock myself.
    It might be pretty different sounding without the Bill Lawrence pups & orig style string thru bridge. 2 of the things I like best about my '77-bridge & pups.