1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gibson Ripper Restore

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Karsten_B, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Karsten_B

Karsten_B

Picked this up the other day, it's a Gibson Ripper LS-9 body. No hardware, no electronics, no nothin. Looking for tips/leads/suggestions on parts for the rebuilding process. They don't have to be authentic or vintage parts just ones that fit and will be beneficial. Obviously a reasonably priced loaded Pick Guard would speed things along but im not banking on running into one of those ever haha[​IMG]
  2. Gabeja15

Gabeja15 Supporting Member

repro Ripper pickups are kind of rare, but can be gotten for a pretty penny from Seymour Duncan. Not much else will fit without a bit of under-pickguard routing.

Personally, I think this would kill with a black pick guard and a set of chrome thunderbuckers
  3. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Years ago I owned one. Swapped out the pups for Seymour Duncans and it really sounded fine. Good luck with this.
  4. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Get a hip shot super tone bridge. Much better than the stock 3 point that used to be on there.
  5. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

For sure!

Choose your pickups FIRST, then have a repro pickguard made to fit around them.
  6. RandyMolson

RandyMolson

One approach:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. aquateen

aquateen

I wired mine 2 vol, 2 tone, 3 way switch.

[​IMG]
  8. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Search all parts. You can get a 4-5 position rotary switch, and all the potentiometers you'd need along with a set of knobs. Pickups, like everyone said, Seymour duncan Ripper replacements. Wd pickguards sells a ripper replacement guard for around 35$ if i'm not mistaken. And if it were me, i'd go with the 3 point bridge. It looks better than the bulk of hipshot and although resale value may depend as it won't be totally original, it would look like a classic bass right from the 70's. Good luck. Oh and tuners, Schaller BM clovers. Chrome.
  9. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

I find I never utilise a 2-tone setup. For me, the ideal would be to have the tones configured to not interact at all when both pickups are on. I find that, generally, both tone controls in this configuration act as master tone controls when both pickups are on.

My favorite passive wiring for four controls is vol - vol - master tone - bridge pickup bass cut. I use Rickenbacker's design and put a cap in series with the bridge pickup, controllable with a pot. When using both pickups this adds a second tone to the mix, that is a good alternative to the scooped Jazz tone you get when both pickups conventionally interact.
  10. IAmACrocodile

IAmACrocodile

Welcome to the forum, Karsten! :) Congratulations on the new bass - it is absolutely gorgeous, and looks like it would be a LOT of fun to play and tinker around with!

If money was not an object, then I would go with two of these - Curtis Novak's Fatbucker pickups. http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/EB-AA.shtml

Enjoy your project, and good luck with it!
  11. peterkidd

peterkidd Supporting Member

Another Approach:

[​IMG]
  12. Karsten_B

Karsten_B

Thank You all so much for the support and ideas!!! as of right now, its looking like i might go with

these pickups http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/custom-shop/bass-2/ripper_bass_rep/

This bridge http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/hipshot-supertone-gibson-3-point-bass-bridge

and either this pickgaurd http://www.wdmusic.com/gibson_ripper_pickguard_gr-6801.html

or this Pickgaurd http://www.wdmusic.com/gibson_ripper_pickguard_gr-6805.html

I might just buy both Pick guards and switch it up from time to time, Still deciding how i'm gonna work the rotary switch on this too. Keep the Ideas coming, nothing is set in stone really. I would also appreciate your thoughts on the ideas i have, how does everything i'm doing sounding so far? have i ****ed up yet? haha. Money isn't technically an issue on this project, ill take it as slow as possible to get everything just right and have the correct funds for everything. I don't want to half ass this project or just slap whatever in it just so it works, plus that takes the fun out of it! my fender p bass and jazz bass have been enough for me thus far they can continue to do the job a little longer.
  13. Karsten_B

Karsten_B

Just to clarify with the whole "money isn't technically an issue" comment. I hope no one took that as I'm some sort of pompous rich kid i have all the money in the world, i just meant that as i'd take the time to save money for the best installments on this bass. I feel silly typing this but after i re-read it i felt the need to let that be known.
  14. Karsten_B

Karsten_B

Just a quick question, I've always wanted a Grabber and this is the closest i've ever had to one. Does anyone suggest that i search for a trade after this is finished being resurrected? The Grabber headstock always seemed more appealing to me. By all means tell me if that would be a stupid idea or if that was a stupid question. I'm all about the input negative or positive input so let me have it
  15. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Just a fyi Musiciansfriend has 15% off acccessories, so buy whatever parts you want through them if they have it. If it says it doesnt work on a brand, call them, likely they will apply it.
  16. Karsten_B

Karsten_B

Thanks man yeah I think that's gonna be my go to for whatever I can.

17. msact

msact Supporting Member

Grabbers show up here and on ebay periodically. I couldn't say if you should trade your Ripper for one, but they are very cool. You would have to decide if you want a Grabber or a G3. They look similar, but sound very different.

[​IMG]
  18. Karsten_B

Karsten_B

To be honest if I got a grabber I would kinda wanna go with the one that has the sliding pick up. I definitely plan on owning one in my life time haha. I'm big thrice fan which is where my interest came from