Gibson SG bass...my favorite bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monoBEAR, Feb 24, 2008.

1. monoBEAR

monoBEAR

i have had several basses in the past but recently bought a Gibson SG bass. it is the worn brown limited edition one that Gibson just came out with. I love it so much. it plays so smooth and has such a sweet tone. I was looking for a bass i could just play really hard with my fingers and this one is absolutely perfect for that.

I'd love to get a vintage EBO one like Watt used to use. maybe someday.

love,
    jeremy

2. peterbright

peterbright Gold Supporting Member

Congratulations! How about a picture?

3. monoBEAR

monoBEAR

heres me playing it!

[​IMG][/

4. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Very nice :)

Not a fan of them myself, but the guitar counterpart, yes please!

You must now learn this:

Its not hard, and im pretty sure the music comes as standard with those basses!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. zazz

zazz

dont worry its me but!! when it comes to sg's i always feel the need to put on my viking helmet and pilage the next village...:bassist:

7. carlo3874

carlo3874

Hello,

I have the Gibson SG ReIssue, and I prefer it over my Lakland 44-02. It's so easy to play, and I have TI flats so the tone is low and phat. I just ordered the Hipshot Supertone replacement bridge for Gibson basses. I hate the 3 point system it has now, so I can't wait to install it. It will be easier to intonate with the new bridge.

You've made the right call.

carlo3874

8. cheesemonkey

cheesemonkey

sunshine of your love is fun and easy to play also nice bass... i shouldn't be in this forum i'm on the verge of a massive GAS attack... someone make me leave plz

9. bobyoung53

bobyoung53

Watt plays a highly modified EB-3. I have an all original EB-3, it's a nice bass, it's similar to the new SG except it has a 4 position tone selector switch on it and a two point bridge. EB-0's only had the neck pickup.

10. monoBEAR

monoBEAR

yeah, i knew Watt's Gibson was highly modified. probably just a Gibson body at this point. sweet bass though.

I have a Rickenbacker that i really love too but I have to sell it. it's a 2004 4003 Jetglo. Excellent condition. I just can't really afford to have it.

11. BassSurfer

BassSurfer Supporting Member

12. monoBEAR

monoBEAR

That's a friend of mine's Fender bass amp. I was just using it that night but yes, it did rock. i enjoyed.

13. martyman5000

martyman5000

Not a fan of the shape but tried out at my local store and liked the tone and feel of the bass very much. It was over $1000...:eek: but very cool.

14. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Disclosures:
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I checked out the heritage cherry SG at Grrrrr Center and had a lawsuit EB-3 when I was young. I love them. The tone out of those stubby scale basses is so phat and unique. Totally different from a Jazz or P for sure.

Congrats on the new wood!

15. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

16. monoBEAR

monoBEAR

sweet bass, man. and thanks for the link. i really wanna get one of the vintage SG basses. soooo cool.

17. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Once you get the Supertone on your bass, please take a minute to post a report on how it improves things. I've always hated the Gibson/Epi 3 and 2 point bridges and have replace several with BA's and other high mass bridges (with vastly improved results over the original). The Supertone looks like the best of both worlds: No mods and much better features. Let us know how you like it.

And good luck with the SG. Nice basses. Not everybody's cup of tea but those who like them seem to love 'em. :cool:

18. carlo3874

carlo3874

Will do!

I probably will have by the end of the week. I will post how it all goes. Beside the Dimarzio Model One PU, are there any others out I could into? My bass came with one and I don't know if I want to swap out or replace the bridge PU with it. I usually have the bridge PU at zero. I don't know, just wondering.

carlo3874

19. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

They have been on Ebay with the flame maple top editions selling at $699 for the last couple of months. Thats as low as they go. You would easily be able to flip it and get your money back if not more down the road.

20. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

21. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:
    I have a 1966 EB-O.

First bass I ever bought. (1972)

Just add tube head, felt pick, and a fuzz. (Joy)