Gibson SG Bass owners, anyone using flats/tapewounds?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Edword, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Edword

Edword

Just wondering if anyone is using flats with their SG Basses, and how you like them. Do the flats adversely affect the neck adjustment?

TIA
  2. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

I had an EB-3 for a while. No problems with flats. Differing tensions may require a modified set-up, but it's not the case that flats are generically higher tension than rounds. It depends on the string, and there' are lots of threads on that topic.
  3. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

I have a 68 EB3, since new. Have always used flats on t, without an issue. In fact, when I bought it, back in 1968, it came from Gibson with flats on it.
  4. Edword

Edword

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GM60466

GM60466

Originally my 68 EB3 came from the factory with flats. I just played a newer SG fitted with a hipshot bridge and flats. It played very well.
  7. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

I have a 60's EBO that was greatly modified before I got it Some one added an original BadAss bridge, what I think is a Dimarzio mudbucker replacement and a Dimarzio double coil Jazz bass at the bridge.

It also has a headstock repair. I have had Chromes on it for over 2 years with no ill effects. It sounds wonderful.
  8. aproud1

aproud1 Lost time is not found again. Gold Supporting Member

I had Labella white nylon tapes on my sg and they were perfect. Felt and sounded great, you will need medium scale set though, short scale was just a little too short.

I tried a couple different sets of flats but I liked the white nylons the best. Because of the experience I now have them on my fretless and my 5 string.
  9. Edword

Edword

Thanks guys!