1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Gibson SG Faded 2011

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nlabat, Jan 22, 2014.

1. nlabat

nlabat

Hi guys! Im almost buying a Gibson SG Faded 2011 and I got some doubts on it....
    is it good bass ???

what kind of pickups it has?? there is a lot of information but none of them from official voice ....

What about the experience of the short scale??? (today i got one 34' and a 5 string 35' Spector both Korea and EURo)...

any recommendation about it ???

I will get it here in Argentina by second hand for 708 U$D with Hard Case...
    :help:

2. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Ele...bson-USA/SG-Standard-Bass-Faded/Features.aspx

Gibson pickups, they sound OK to good.
    I bought an EB-OL in the 1970's and the neck pickup of this new one is not a "mudbucker" as that one was but comes close. Short scale takes a little getting used to but having a lighter bass that is "easier" to play makes up for that. Overall it is a very good bass for BASS.

I did buy a Dimarzio front pickup and Allparts rear pickup to try as replacements to get a bit more high end. It is easier to turn the tone knob down on a full range bass to get a BASSY sound than it is to EQ mids and highs out of a bass whose pickups do not provide much at all.

3. nlabat

nlabat

one of my doubts is if the 2011 model got the SG Pickups or TBird ones ? do you know witch or what is the difference ....

4. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

best thing to do with short scale is to put fatty strings on it.

Makes up for the loss of tension and gives you FAT tone.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nlabat

nlabat

Good to know....

Im still wondering what about the Pickups Type and the performance of it ... ??

30'' scale is it good to rung gigs or records ./???

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

I really like these basses ... the only problem I have with them is they don't have 5 strings.

8. UK Philip

UK Philip

shorties are surprisingly easy to get to grips with.

before you know it you'll be noodling at a much faster speed and you'll be playing much more ambitiously. i have a short-scale gretsch and a standard P - long-scale is better for theory, at least for me, and short is more suited to the fast-paced finger work.

9. bassobrutto

bassobrutto Supporting Member

I am pretty sure the pickups in all SG basses are T-bird style, despite the appearance. As another poster said, they are a little less extreme than the originals on the EB-3, and more versatile as a result. Much fuller sounding than most other short scales--definitely a professional grade gigging instrument for rock/blues. I owned one of these for a while and only let it go for financial reasons.

10. Psychbunny

Psychbunny

I have T-bird pups in my flying v and have a 2013 SG. If the pick-ups are really the same this would be a surprise as the Flying V pups are much hotter than the SG. The SG seems more versatile tone wise but the Flying V is just a booming voice of God. The SG is very comfortable and the short scale and neck profile make it super easy to play. I liked the Flying V so much that I bought the SG and Sold my American Special Jazz. My SG is the standard Heritage Cherry w/trapezoid inlays but if the faded has the same pups, body and neck IMHO you can't go wrong. Price wise I would be tempted to get the new SG special.

11. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

Get the HipShot replacement bridge, it makes a huge difference.

12. nlabat

nlabat

I Got the Bass really good one ....
    Nice and Strange Scale the 30.5...

13. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

14. Basshappi

Basshappi

Yes, pics!
    Congrats on the new SG! I think that once you get used to the short scale length you will really love it.

15. nlabat

nlabat

16. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Looks great! I love the way these basses play. They really sound great strung up with flats, IMO. I didn't realize the worn finish models came with a hard case. Nice bonus!

17. nlabat

nlabat

Im really happy with the SG ...

but 2011 SG Faded still got a question.....

are the pickups from the Tbird or SG pickups ..??

anybody knows it ??

18. mr.mow

mr.mow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    They are TBird pickups under the shells.
    I've owned and gigged 3 of these and if you like a fat wooly tone they are great.

I put it like this, fender basses tend to punch through the band, the gibson tends to BE the fat base for the band to be on top of..

19. Psychbunny

Psychbunny

The neck pick-up is a T-bird pup but the mini is not. One is alinco and the other is ceramic. This gives a significantly different tone than the two -T=bird pups. My Flying V with the standard T-bird pups is significantly hotter. The SG is more versatile tone wise where the T-bird is pure thunder. I find myself spending time on one and then a week or so later pick up the other and am surprised how good it sounds. It is best, if possible to play both as they are surprisingly different animals. I will say that I have a 2013 standard heritage cherry but I probably would have bought a burst SG special if they would have been out. $699 is a heck of a deal for an american made bass that is set neck and hasn't farmed out the pups.

20. nlabat

nlabat

You mean that the Bridge pickup is Alnico Vintage Pickup ?? (mini one)

and the neck is a TBird ???

21. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I have a 2012 and plan on leaving it stock. If someone were to give me the hipshot bridge, I'd take it, but Im happy with the stock bridge. Put some heavy labella deep talkin rounds or flats and you got one hell of a bass.