1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gibson SG headstock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by buckeyebragi, Dec 2, 2013.

1. buckeyebragi

buckeyebragi Supporting Member

Hi all,

So I found one of the new 2014 SG basses and it is truly a perfect little monster. I also really like short scales so that is a bonus. Here is my issue though, I notice a higher number of repaired SG basses and guitars, usually at the nut, than any other type of instrument. I've heard of the Gibson issue with their headstocks before...but why is this? Is it the stress? What causes it? How can it be avoided if I buy one? Thanks.

~BB~
  2. buckeyebragi

buckeyebragi Supporting Member

3. ifallalot

ifallalot

Its not just basses, its guitars too. I don't know why myself but I think it is the angle of the headstock?

Here's what happened 1 year old vs Epiphone. This is after I removed the strings

[​IMG]
  4. bolophonic

bolophonic

It's the angle. It is an easy fix.
  5. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Don't drop it.

The Gibson angled headstock is notorious for breaking.

It is under $100 generally to fix and involves wood glue, a couple of clamps and maybe a few more $$$ if you want the area repainted.

Not a big deal unless it is a super expensive vintage bass/guitar.
  6. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

"There's only two kinds of angled HS mahogany necks out there. Ones that have broken and been repaired, and the ones that have not been repaired, YET"

If You look at the grain orientation on the HS it's pretty easy to understand why it splits like it splits.

A bump (or an attempt to HS vibrato gone wrong) and the HS snaps off.

Easy(ish) fix.

Gibson tried to alleviate the problem by introducing a volute to strenghten the problem area in earlsy 70's, but they had to abandon that practise because people didn't like it.

It's not just Gibsons either, all mahogany necks are the same, especially if the HS is angled.

Not a big deal there either, ~15% hit on the re-sale value if done correctly.

Regards
    Sam
  7. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

that and the truss rod cut out
  8. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

Disclosures:
    Builder: Brumbaugh Guitarworks
    I agree with pretty much everything said here. There a couple of reasons that this happens.

1. No volute. This would reinforce the area and give it more strength.
    2. The removed material for the truss rod access. They use a one way rod with a nut on it. This requires more material to be removed then a modern two way rod does.
    3. There is no scarf joint at the headstock. The problem here is "grain runout". The headstock is all endgrain, which is much weaker.
  9. aproud1

aproud1 Hit that long lunar note, and let it float. Gold Supporting Member

As others have said it how thin the neck is at the nut especially due to the truss rod access.

If you don't drop or knock over your bass it shouldn't be an issue, it wasn't for me. If you are in the habit of dropping or knocking over your bass I would buy something else.
  10. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Gibson's are not the only instruments that can have a headstock break from a fall.

[​IMG]

How many SG's could you buy to equal the cost of that bass??
  11. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Yeah, my upright has a repaired headstock. My EB-2 doesn't, and it is pushing 45 years old now. If you don't drop them, they don't break. A short scale neck is easier to keep out of harm's way, since waving it around doesn't cut such a wide arc. I'm grateful the P and Ric have maple necks, because those headstocks get whacked on all kinds of things when I get into it a little.