Gibson SG info please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimpat1987, Nov 18, 2013.

1. jimpat1987

jimpat1987

2. nouroog

nouroog Supporting Member

Maybe a modded refinished EB0, with a mudbucker added in the bridge position?
    The two points bridge and neck mudbucker position date it before mid 73.
    The non slotted headstock then brings it before mid 69.
    The dotted i in the Gibson logo and the tuning keys might give some info too.
    You have plenty info on these basses on
    www.flyguitars.com
    With a little luck, flyguitars will see the thread and show up and tell us.
  3. DrSteve

DrSteve

Try searching using the serial number/Gibson SG #. I think it should be etched in the back of the headstock. Good luck.
  4. nouroog

The serial numbers are somewhat tricky with those basses. Gibson re-used the numbers through the years of production.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jimpat1987

jimpat1987

Thanx for the info.Serial number is not clear at all.it begins with 9525 but i cant recognize the rest.....:confused:
  7. nouroog

Just seen the tuning keys are not originals.

From www.flyguitars.com :

"Vintage Gibson serial numbers

Gibson used various systems of numbering their instruments, and some records exist that can give a clue to a shipping date. 50s and early 1960s details are fairly straightforward, but later serial numbers (particularly around 65-75) can cause more confusion than clarity. BEFORE you read the Gibson serial number charts, please read the rest of this page!

The serial numbers Gibson used, particularly from 1969-1979 are often very difficult to interpret. The reason being that Gibsons 6 digit serial number system reached 999999 several times; each time they continued from 000001.

So Gibson re-used serial numbers. If you read through the charts for a hypothetical number, say 123456 - we see that it was shipped in 1963, 1970-72, and again in 74-75. Not an ideal situation, but many of the Guitars we see listed for sale as 1960s instruments, are actually newer. It is often not the sellers fault, as they will have looked through the numbers, found it was 1963, and would see no reason to look further in the document."
  8. nouroog

The central position of the crown on the headstock and the dotted i in the logo would indicate mid sixties, maybe around 66.
  9. nouroog

So my guess would be:
    Around 66-67 Gibson EB-0, probably refinished walnut or stripped body, with non original tuning keys, and added mudbucker in the bridge position.

And most likely a very fun to play bass, with a very warm creamy buttery tone.
  10. jimpat1987

jimpat1987

Thanx for all these helpful infos.it's a very nice bass an it's cool to play with it :bassist: which do you think is the estimated value for this bass????
  11. nouroog

There's a rule on TB that specifies
    "Price check/"How much is this bass worth"-type threads are limited to supporting members only"
  12. jimpat1987

jimpat1987

i didnt know it.thanx anyway for all the other info :)
  13. nouroog

You're very welcome! :)
  14. nouroog

You can search Ebay and Gbase with the keyword Gibson EB0 and you'll be able to get an idea of what the bass is roughly worth.
  15. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

No kidding. My EB-2 could be anything from 1966 to 1970 or even a 1971 if something weird was going on with the numbers. I don't know which. When I got it, the shop thought it was a 1965, but no serial number tracker puts its serial that far back. But who knows. Since it is an EB-2dc, best guess using the serial number as a guide is that it was built in 1968. An EB-0 will have the same kinds of issues since Gibson serial numbers are a thicket at best.