Gibson SG Special Bass from Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Steed11, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Steed11

Steed11

Just wanted to let folks know about my experience, recently at GC. I have been GASsing for the fireburst 2014 SG bass and had almost pulled the trigger several times online, but managed to talk myself out of it. This would be my 6th bass and second Gibson SG.
    A local GC had one in stock so I went down there, figuring I could assuage my desire by just handling it. Well that didn't work. But, I said to the young fellow who was helping me, "If I buy this online I can get it tax free and free shipping, give me a reason to buy it here"...so he trots off to talk to his manager and comes back with "no if you bought it online thru Guitar Center you'd have to pay the tax" "not talking about Guitar Center" says I " check Sam Ash or AMS" off he goes again, comes back smiling " you're right, we'll match the price $699 total" cool says I "do you want a case with that?" he asks " oh no it comes with a case" I point out. Long story short I get the guitar and case for $699 ...the receipt shows $501 for the guitar and $198 for the case, which I thought was interesting...anyway I'm happy.

[​IMG]

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

They pulled the same thing with me when I bought my SG at GC. Told me it doesn't come with a case. I chuckled and set him straight.

Also, no pics = no bass.

3. IPA

IPA

They always do that guitar and case billing. Then sometimes, when something is on sale, they sell it... without the case? But most of the time you can't ask them to simply omit the case to save money. Strange system.

Congrats though!

4. Steed11

Steed11

Just added an image of my Gibsons...one of the ways I persuaded myself I needed a second was, 2 months after I got the Faded Cherry, it was knocked off it's stand and busted the head off. I was devastated, but got it repaired and other than the scar it plays well...but I'll never be able to sell it (and don't want to)...it's amazing the stories you'll tell yourself to justify GAS.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Do they feel and sound exactly the same? I'm wondering if these new ones are any different aside from the new color options.

7. octopoculator

octopoculator Fake Astronaut Supporting Member

Nice work! I just picked up the same in chocolate from GC but had to special order as it wasn't in stock at the store. Wondering if I could have done the same.

Either way, what a killer bass, right? Does your case have the same gorgeous hot pink plush as mine?

8. Steed11

Steed11

There is no big difference between the 2 that I have noticed they're both great and yes the case does have the hot pink fur ...those crazy Canadians!!!

9. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

I have a related question. Has anyone ever talked a Guitar Center into selling just the case for a used bass? I recently bought a Gibson Les Paul Jr. from the GC in Lubbock, which was supposed to come with the OHSC. When it arrived I was horrified to see it was shipped without the case (luckily it arrived without damage). I called the store and they said "oops" and agreed to ship me the case. Two weeks passed and nothing arrived. I called again and they said they couldn't find the case anymore.

Now another GC has this same bass with the OHSC. I'd like to buy just the case from that GC, but they haven't responded to my email.

Oh, by the way, I bought that same SG Special and I love it!

[​IMG]