1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gibson Thunderbird players

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Aga, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Aga

Aga

Which known bass players do you know who use Gibson Thunderbird? Espacially as a main instrument.
  2. meRTKendrew

meRTKendrew

Jarred Followill from Kings of Leon.

-RTK
  3. aquateen

aquateen

tbird1958!

:D
  4. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

When not playing his signature Waterstone TP 12 string bass, Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick often plays a Gibson Thunderbird II or IV bass from the mid 60s. Listen to Cheap Tricks first album from 1977 to hear one of the best T-bird tones ever recorded!
  5. kommando84

kommando84

Twiggy Ramirez of Marilyn Manson (before he switched to guitars on the last album); Shavo Odadjian of System of a Down (when they still existed!); Nikki Sixx.

If it wasn't for the horrific neck dive and questionable quality control of late, I'd be happy to buy a Gibson T-Bird myself; for now, I'll just make do with my Epiphone!
  6. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Supporting Member

Jerry Flowers (w/ Keith Urban) plays a thunderbird on much of the live concert footage I've seen.
  7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Maya of The Donnas
  8. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

Nikki Monninger of Silversun Pickups (at least she did when I saw them a few years back).
    Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth also kept one in regular rotation.

Leon Wilkeson of Lynyrd Skynyrd rocked a Tbird back in the day.

The dean of all rock bass players, John Entwistle, employed modified Tbirds with Fender Precision necks as a main bass back in the late 60's and early 70's and I'm sure someone on TB can tell you to the exact day.
  9. pappas0211

pappas0211 Supporting Member

Dean from Chevelle and Dean from Theory of a Deadman also both play them.
  10. swood_de

swood_de Gold Supporting Member

Jared Followill of Kings of Leon, the late Allen Woody of the Allman Brothers, Shavo Odadjian of System of a Down, Martin Turner (ex-Wishboand Ash) and (of course) the late John Entwistle of the Who (who played T-Birds from 1971 through 1975)
  11. stiles72

stiles72

:confused: All of my late model Thunderbirds (bought sight unseen) have had much better QC on the fit and finish and overall build than many of the SG's and Les Paul guitars I've seen at Guitar Center within the last few years. Nothing sloppy on mine. And no neck dive whatsoever either.

For players - most of the obvious ones have been mentioned (John Entwhistle, Nikki SIxx, Kim Deal, Shavo). Here's an oldie though:

David Martin - Sam The Sham and The Pharohs
    [​IMG]
  12. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    How about Martin Turner from Wishbone Ash......
    Chris Squire - sometimes
    Overend Watts
    Pete Way UFO
    Tom Hamilton sometimes
    Nikki Sixx of course!
    Walter Becker of Steely Dan once in a while.

Thanks for the honorable mention :)
  13. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

The Canadian Gibson rep must be bored as every Canadian band my 14 year old kid listens to uses Gibson TBirds.. Hedley and Theory of a Deadman to name 2.

The bassist of Daughtry also uses a TBird.

.... AND TBird1958!;)
  14. Aga

Aga

Thanks for your answers. :)

And if we're talking about Allen Woody, I know he didn't play Tbird all the time (he used also a Gibson EB-0 I think and Grabber?). Tbird wasn't his main and preferred bass?
    And could you tell me in which albums and which song he used his tbird?

15. Simo98

Simo98

Simon Gallup - The Cure

Ox has already being mentioned, so has the guy from kings of leon. Thats about all I can think of off the top of my head, but im sure there are plenty more.
  16. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

The late, super incredible, Reid Diamond from Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet played a T-Bird.
  17. mcnico

mcnico

Andy A.C. Christell formerly of Hanoi Rocks and the Electric boys uses Thunderbirds exclusively.
  18. Funkster

Funkster

The Late great Leon Wilkerson was a Bird Lover
    [​IMG]
  19. Funkster

Funkster

Ean Evans played Birds also.
    [​IMG]
  20. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

re Woody, I have a cool story. Back in the late 80's, before the Internet (at least as it exists today), you had to satisfy your mail-order gear lust using real (snail) mail. I got monthly lists from several shops, including Gruhn's in Nashville, and on this particular month they had a Firemist Gold non-reverse Tbird for sale. I called the shop to inquire about the bass; they said "hold on, I'll let you talk to Allen about it".

Woody and I spent a good half-hour, maybe more, discussing our mutual love for birds. One thing I clearly remember; we were both of the mind that we liked non-reverses better as players. The other thing I remember was his voice - very soft spoken and polite. I pictured someone very young, very slight, and very "straight" looking.

It wasn't till a couple of years later that I read in an interview about him working at Gruhn's shop before joining the Allmans - right around the time of my call. He wasn't "Woody" yet, just a fellow bird lover with a soft southern accent.

/rick