gibson v ephiphone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by royronnoco, Mar 22, 2014.

1. royronnoco

royronnoco

Hey guys,
    I want to buy a gibson thunderbird, but I'm hearing a lot of talk about how good the epiphone t/bird is. Has anyone got opinions on this that might help me? I just cant see something that cheap rival the gibson. Am I right or wrong? Cheers
  2. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

My experience from handling them both at a store is that the Gibson is lighter than any Epiphone but the Pro model. As for sound... I couldn't hear a significant difference.
  3. royronnoco

royronnoco

Thanks Jenny
    Ya, Im told the reason you pay an extra 1000e is for the gibson "name". From what I can gather there aint much difference.
  4. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Well, the Gibsons are made in Nashville; the Epiphones in Indonesia. If that's important to you....
  5. 1stnamebassist

1stnamebassist

The Epi Classic 4 pro is an excellent bass. I've played the Gibsons although I never owned one and can say I don't really see much difference. Never did a side by side comparison, just going by memory though. Unfortunately I sold my classic 4 arctic white a couple weeks ago. Now I'm wanting another one and will probably get a Sunburst sometime in the near future.
  6. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups

Specifically the Epiphone "Classic Pro" is a great Thunderbird at a very reasonable price, the other models Epi offers = not so much.

Review here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/classic-thunderbird-pro-iv-review-932116/
  7. JSpradBass

JSpradBass

The Gibson will have a much better resale value if you ever decide to sell it.