1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

gibson v ephiphone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by royronnoco, Mar 22, 2014.

1. royronnoco

royronnoco

Nov 28, 2011
    Ireland
    Hey guys,
    I want to buy a gibson thunderbird, but I'm hearing a lot of talk about how good the epiphone t/bird is. Has anyone got opinions on this that might help me? I just cant see something that cheap rival the gibson. Am I right or wrong? Cheers

2. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Dec 18, 2013
    My experience from handling them both at a store is that the Gibson is lighter than any Epiphone but the Pro model. As for sound... I couldn't hear a significant difference.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. royronnoco

royronnoco

Nov 28, 2011
    Ireland
    Thanks Jenny
    Ya, Im told the reason you pay an extra 1000e is for the gibson "name". From what I can gather there aint much difference.

5. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

Dec 18, 2013
    Well, the Gibsons are made in Nashville; the Epiphones in Indonesia. If that's important to you....

6. The Epi Classic 4 pro is an excellent bass. I've played the Gibsons although I never owned one and can say I don't really see much difference. Never did a side by side comparison, just going by memory though. Unfortunately I sold my classic 4 arctic white a couple weeks ago. Now I'm wanting another one and will probably get a Sunburst sometime in the near future.

7. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen!

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups

Specifically the Epiphone "Classic Pro" is a great Thunderbird at a very reasonable price, the other models Epi offers = not so much.

Review here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/classic-thunderbird-pro-iv-review-932116/

8. JSpradBass

JSpradBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The Gibson will have a much better resale value if you ever decide to sell it.