Gibson Worn Finish SG Bass Review.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by godofthunder59, Dec 30, 2012.

1. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I feel in love with this bass in the store. Light, resonant, easy to play. I ripped off tune after tune of my favorite EB artists and this bass really delivers. I really love the worn finish It feels great in your hands and I think the bass is a bit lighter and more resonant for it and as always this bass looks great in the classic Heritage Cherry. The three piece mahogany neck reminds me very much of a early pre '65 EB series bass. beefy and very comfortable though not as hefty. The MOP dot inlay looks so right with the rosewood fingerboard on this bass. I personally found the trapezoid inlays on the more upscale SG bass a little overboard though I do wish this bass had the inlay on the headstock. Fit and finish are very good on this bass I can't really find anything negative to comment on though I am sure the worn finishing process is less critical than a high gloss finish. The body is two piece Mahogany and though the two pieces are a bit mismatched, one being much more figured than the other it gives the bass personality and makes it mine, I'm cool with that. The bass is equipped with a Large humbucker at the neck and a mini humbucker at the bridge. The controls are streamlined v/v/t, I personally like the old layout of v/v/t/t, but I think most players will like the new layout just fine. I was pleasantly surprised by the pick ups. The neck pickup (or neutered mudbucker as I like to call it) Provides a convincing 60's experience with out being unwieldy. I have not put it on a meter but certainly half the output of it's much loved predecessor. With the neck pup on 10 and the bridge pickup dialed all the way down and the tone rolled off this bass can do a pretty good EBO without going through the driver on your practice amp. The pickup placement, short scale and construction of the bass I feel also account for it's vintage tone. My favorite combination of pickups is the neck on 10, bridge dialed back a bit and the tone all the way up. All in all this bass feel like a early 60's EB3 without the price tag and I had no problem of getting Dunnaway's eerie thump of Dead Babies to Frasier's clean burp on All Right Now to Jim Lea's snappy grind on Cum On Feel The Noize. The bass MAPS at 899.00 (it can be had for far less) comes with a beautiful form fitted hardshell case. For those who want a 60's EB3 and find them out of reach or those who want a contemporary take on a classic I can't recommended this bass highly enough. To complete the 60's experience for myself I am going to install a 60's Mudbucker, Not necessary but I do have one on hand. ;) [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  2. mfbolton

mfbolton Bassist for The Dam Dams Supporting Member

Beautiful bass. Thanks for the review.
  3. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
  4. swamp2

swamp2

Hey Scott! Nice review and nice bass, you must have have a good boy this year to have picked this up and my old T20 within a couple weeks time!

I am very fond of my SG Supreme as well (purchased new at the HOG a couple years back...). I tend to run the p//u mix about as you describe with the tone about mid. I do have mine strung with flats as is my preference, it's a dream to play... It really isn't all that muddy, compared to my old Guild JS1, it's practically transparent. And I have to profess to being very fond of my trapezoids and the headstock inlay...

Anyway good to hear from you. Happy New Year and congrats on the new score!

Steve
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dtripoli

dtripoli

Related, real wear
    Craigs-LA
    1968 gibson EBO bass.. trade - $900 (los angeles)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Makes me miss mine.
  8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

The SG basses are Sooooo pretty ... and good for the Allen Woody tone ...
  9. godofthunder59

Disclosures:
    Hi Steve! Nice to see you here on tb! Yeah I should not have bought it, I'm floggin some basses to pay it off pronto before the missus catches on lol. I took it to rehearsal last night and it performed beautifully big fat ballsy sound just like a good EB should! it's a keeper that's for sure! A Happy New Year to you!
  10. godofthunder59

Disclosures:
    Boy I wouldn't pay $900 for that! Road hard, put up wet and left out! Geeze look at how high that bridge is set.
  11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

I have a 1960-EBO.
    The finish is almost melted into wood.
    Old EBO's are amazing sounding little basses.
  12. godofthunder59

Disclosures:
    Don't get me wrong I LOVE EB0s! 900 for that one just seems step to me.
  13. Stewie26

Stewie26 Gold Supporting Member

I have an SG with gloss finish. It is my number one bass now. I am not sure why there is a $400 difference between the vintage and gloss finish. Also, I have been told that the newer SG's have ThunderBird PU's disguised with chrome covers on them. Have fun with your new SG.
  14. Orpheus55

Orpheus55 Supporting Member

I am drooling over this. I have considered many times trading in my Stingray for just such a beast. My very first bass was a Gibson Kalamazoo bought with paper-route money in 1965. Playing a nice little Ibanez short scale has reignited my love of shorties in general. May have to make a move of some kind for this.
  15. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Gorgeous bass I've always wanted one.
  16. radiocycle

radiocycle

Thanks for the review! I have one of these now and I really dig it! I've changed out the stock bridge for a Hipshot. I can't believe how cool the tone is, having come from a 70's CBS P-bass with little, if any, tone control. My new full-time babe.
    Thanks!

radio
  17. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I have the Epiphone version and can't be happier fit and finish are beautiful I also did the bridge upgrade just love this bass.
  18. Mark4

Mark4

Nice review, but it isn't helping my GAS! I've played several of these at the music store, and liked each one.
  19. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I have the worn brown. I love it. Light as a feather and sounds and plays great. All my other basses have been lonely ever since I brought this one home.
  20. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

These basses are so gorgeous. How's the neck dive on these SGs? I tried an Epiphone EB-3 and the neck dive was terrible. I couldn't imagine dealing with that all the time. Does the 30" scale have less neck dive than the 34"?
  21. mtsens1

mtsens1 Merle Supporting Member

Have the same bass for about 3 months now. It gets the most play time of all my basses, all of which cost me more. I run the controls same as you, using pressure wound GHS strings, love the tone.