Gibson Z Bass - What's it worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Misterwogan, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

This is the SG bodied bass with the 34.5 inch scale. Does it sound like a short scale SG/EB3?
  2. ggvicviper

ggvicviper P is the Key. Call me Marc or Marky Potatoes. Gold Supporting Member

I head it was 34.5" scale. Either way, looking at the pickup config and placement, plus the scale length, it probably sounds nothing like the EB3.
  3. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

Well the EB3 and SG don't really sound alike either...

The SG-Z has none of the extreme lows of the EB3, perhaps closer to the newer SG reissue, but only in certain positions, and still not that close. The pickup positions, scale and humbucker/single coil switches allow quite a lot of clearer tones. Quite a useable bass, and not really a typical Gibson SG shaped bass.

Value is very variable. They don't come up that often, but pretty much on par with any other late 90s Gibson bass.
  4. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Thanks for that. I have an SG RI which I love terribly, especially its P-Bass busting bottom end. The bridge pup alone makes a good effort at funk. So I like the SG not simply because it's short but because it's deep - especially with a pick.

Would the Z Bass compliment the SG or just duplicate?
    Would GBP 500 be a good deal?

Thanks
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. D.M.N.

D.M.N. Supporting Member

Well, I think the Z-bass would sound a lot more like a Gibson Thunderbird. It's long scale, and has two pickups, which appear to be TB+ humbuckers with coil taps spaced closely together. Not going to sound like the Modern SG bass (although I've heard the pickups in the modern T-bird and the SG are the same, Fly Guitar would probably be more knowledgable about that), and definitely not like the EB basses. It would probably be a cool addition.
  7. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Is it worth £500?
  8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Price quotes are for supporting members, that is why he won't give you a direct answer.
  9. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Understood. Please forgive my ignorance and pushey-ness.
  10. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Ok, so now I'm a supporting member. Answer please...
  11. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

Like this?
    [​IMG]

I assume prices to be higher in GB for Gibson gear, so 500 for a bass with TB pickups and upper-fret access is an OK deal, assuming it's in good shape.

Oh - and thanks for supporting the forum.

12. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Thanks. So the Z would not be duplicating my SG?
  13. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

I don't know for sure, but It sure looks like it would have a very different tone. Different from the modern T-Bird, too.