1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gift Idea

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by amil666, Dec 5, 2013.

1. amil666

amil666

Hey,

So I'm looking to get my 14 year old cousin a bass pedal for xmas. I've been reading through these forums for the past few days and I now I have more leads than I know what to do with. Basically, the situation is I'm not exactly sure what type of pedal to get him (let alone which model). I want to get him some pedal with real quality, that he could potentialyl use for the rest of his musical life, something a professional musician would use. He's actually pretty talented at bass guitar and really at any instrument he decides to learn.

So, to get straight to the matter, I'm thinking the safest course of action would be to get him a multieffect pedal, like a zoom ms-60b or a b2. However, like I said, I want something with real quality that could last, not just some introductory thing he'll move on from. I listened to some youtube demos of these pedals and none of the effects (to my novice ears) sounded all that great or deep or weighty. It therefore seems to me that this pedal has more value as an introduction to the variety of pedals or maybe as a convenience pedal for pro musicians, and that it does not especially excel at any particular effect (even if certain effects are well above average). However, I also know that a cursory demo on youtube can be misleading and maybe some of these effects are in fact as good as you can get for that price range.

I checked out the e-h bass big muff pi, and that actually sounded pretty cool to me, then again I'm probably much more into that sound than he is (I mean, Melvins are one of my favorite bands, though I think Buzz uses a rat if anything). The reason I bring up the muff is cuz that's the kind of quality I'm looking for (tho I know some of you dont think very highly of the bass big muff)--basically, something a professional musician would use and that's got depth and weight to it.

I'm not sure what kind of effect would be best for him. I lean toward something he could experiment and make all sorts of crazy sounds with. I also think a looper could be useful, but I don't want just a looper. Note: he doesn't play live and he's not part of a band (outside of his band class at school). Also, he has a guitar, but he hasn't touched it in a long time, and I think it's packed away somewhere in his garage or something (though he's been playing his ukelele lately).

I've noticed that he plays 7 nation army on his bass a lot. he also likes rhcp and I guess sublime. He says he likes Nirvana too but I'm not sure he listens to them much. I'd rather steer him more toward that Nirvana/Melvins sound than the rhcp stuff, though I also want to respect his tastes.

So what do you think? What would you get your cousin in this case? I can't really spend more than $100 and even $100 is a lot of trouble for me.

At the moment my decision is a Zoom MS-60b, but I'm very willing to be persuaded otherwise.
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    For that price, Devi Ever makes some cool fuzz pedals, and Joyo makes an overdrive that has gotten some good press lately. I think your best bang per buck would be something like that, a single-purpose overdrive with a "cool factor", rather than a generic multifx.
  3. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

Check http://idiotboxeffects.bigcartel.com/. Not everything there is made specifically for bass but there are bass demos on youtube for the laser fuzz, blasteroid, and death ray. The blower box is a bass distortion. Everything on that site is 99 dollars or less. I have a blasteroid - I haven't had a chance to use it yet but that's another story. If you search fuzz wars 2 you'll find a Jaun Alderete demo of it, which is the reason I ordered mine. He also makes the cool buzz bass fuzz. Anywho, worth checking out.
  4. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member

Check your pm box.
  5. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

The MS-60b is a great pedal and tool for any bass player, and does have plenty of experimental freak out potential. I wouldn't lump it into the typical multieffects category and say it's a stepping stone for learning about effects, though. I think it's almost opposite, that it's more suited for people that know about effects beforehand. It's made more for replacing multiple pedals on a pedal board than setting up a lot of different pedal sounds to try out.

I would agree with the idea of a cool, single dirt pedal, especially with those bands in mind. For that price I would check out the Hardwire CM-2. It's a great tube overdrive pedal with a really nice range of sounds to play with, from low growl tube grit to crunchy saturation, and works very well with bass. It's something he could get a lot of use out of for a while, I would think.
  6. spaz21387

spaz21387

You cant go wrong with a rat on bass. I highly recommend one.
  7. Timpala

Timpala Supporting Member

I have an old school Russian Big Muff pedal, but I really think the new one is better. I would go for the Deluxe model though. It is worth the money for the added options. It does have bad graphics on it, but it is the best fuzz pedal ever.