Gig anymore or not,do you still keep buying basses ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by okc-zee, Dec 26, 2012.

1. okc-zee

okc-zee

I've been playing bass since 13 yrs. old...Just turned 60 this year...I've played,taught,and gigged professionally for many years...nowadays,I'll get to a jam here and there,and a gathering of other musician friends for a good time...I no longer have the time to do it full time,and haven't in the last few years...however,I don't think my interest and desire to acquire new or different basses will ever stop...there are a couple I own that I'll never part with,but I'm always still wanting to sell/buy something new,so I still do..matter of fact,I added 2 more the end of this year...so,I am just curious...do you think there's a time that you stop getting instruments even if you don't gig or are in a band anymore ?
  2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    No way. GAS doesn't care if its practical.
  3. SJan3

SJan3

Nope, its like an addiction. Gotta have it!!
  4. NOVAX

NOVAX

Hail No! When I die they're going to have to dig through a pile of basses, cables and bass related accessories to get to my body. He who dies with the most basses wins.
  5. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

No different than having a passion for collecting other items IMO.

I collect wine (ok, I likely wouldn't if I quit drinking!) but many are into watches, baseball cards, comics, etc.... If you enjoy it, why stop?

I personally have 10 basses, 3 great amps and 5 amazing cabs... If I stopped gigging, I would likely downsize a bit but I wouldn't downsize by much.
  6. JBFLA

JBFLA Roscoe FANatic Gold Supporting Member

Haven't gigged in the past two years but that doesn't mean I won't, and certainly hasn't stopped my GAS.

Next year will be my 40th year of playing, and I play/practice every day.

New stuff is a good thing...
  7. Kryptos

Kryptos

I previously collected coins seriously, collecting basses is much less expensive and much more social (you get to play with others) pastime. Since I retired in 2009 I have purchased a Custom Shop bass each year and I intend to continue this practice. Started at age 14, 62 now, hopefully many more years of basses to come.

Spring/summer and fall I play once a week @ the Blue Ridge Music Center, in the winter once a week with the local steel/calypso/reggae band @ a resort here. Still practicing daily.
  8. Crabby

Crabby

I don't play out much these days and have more bases and amps then I ever did while playing in a band. But I am a bit older and can now afford some of the instruments that I never could back in the day. I think of people I know who are my age and spend thousands of dollars a year on gambling, smoking, and other crap and have nothing to show for it. I may spend more then I should on gear but the money for the most part, is still sitting in my gear room. I get to enjoy my stuff, and can re sell things in the future if needed.

You could do a lot worse!
  9. Never_grew_up

Never_grew_up

When they put me in a box & throw dirt on it. Even then the UPS guy will probably show up at my wake with my latest eBay score.
  10. micgtr71

micgtr71

I am entering my my 25th year of playing bass and have not been on stage as a bassist in almost 10 years. I teach at a studio weekly and have not purchased a new bass in quite some time. Currently I am considering a new amplifier and saving money for a new bass. No, it never ends...
  11. fjadams

fjadams Supporting Member

Same story here. First played in a band in 63' until early 70's. Then work took over and spent the next 38 years traveling for work. Two years ago spent 295 days in motels. Last few years took up playing again, and found I'd lost most of my skill but not desire. Things I once could do without even thinking seem all but impossible now, and the arthritis in the fingers doesn't help. Left pinky barely moves anymore. Still like collecting though. Now it's less expensive and abused instruments, and bringing them to present and future glory. Will I ever play in a band again, probably not, but still like having my options on which one to play for my own amusement.
  12. zachoff

zachoff

Yup... Still on the quest for the ultimate and finally feel like I have a really good idea of what I like.
  13. Jothabass

Jothabass

I have no gig right now, and only have my Elrick... But I'm always looking the TB classifieds!!! :)
  14. SteveC

SteveC

I only play church regularly. As of NYE it'll be one year since I was in an active band. I have done a few fill in gigs, but that's it. I have a Geddy Lee. Plenty of bass for all of that. However...

...I have a Roecoe fretless due to be delivered on Friday and a Roscoe fretted "on order" due sometime in the next few months.

There are worse habits/vices we could have.
  15. SteveC

SteveC

Good answer.
  16. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59

Haven't played live on concert stages or clubs in 5 yrs.,but that doesn't change a thing. As long as my job keeps me traveling in a 75-100 radius around my city, I'll continue to stop at ALL pawnshops I pass. I'll therefore run into a KILLER deal on a bass I can't pass up. This will keep me buying basses until I retire. ;)
  17. pete rallis

pete rallis

I'M 58, until a few months ago, had not played out for over20 years, but have more basses, guitars, and amps than I ever had when I was younger and trying to "make it"..and its better stuff. and I am always looking for the next one..
  18. Mike M.

Mike M.

I also only play at church about once every three weeks. The main reason why I don't play out more is because I work nights, Monday thru Friday. So unless my employment situation changes from nights to days a "band" is out of the question. I'm also 59 years old.

However...about three weeks ago I gave in and bought a 2012 Fender American Standard 4 string Jazz bass. Black, white pickguard and a maple fretboard. I fully admit that I did NOT need another bass. I really didn't. Got a 5 string AM STD Jazz, an MIJ Classic 70's P bass and they are both wonderful players in every sense of the word. However....the 2012 AM STD J was simply THEE finest playing 4 string bass I've ever come across in my life. I fought buying it for about two months, went back to the store one day and spent about two hours comparing it with a few other J's. After those two hours I said "that's it. It's mine." What the hell and why not? I'm single, my bills are paid and I'm good with managing my money.

I'm quite confindent in saying "this is it." I've got three basses that fit me like a glove and my only musical desire for the new year is to become the best player that I possibly can.
  19. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Amps yes. Basses i have not bought a bass since the Alleva Coppolo LM5 about 5 years ago. Before that was the Roscoe 5 a few years before that ( which i sold) and a sadowsky 1999. I like the idea of hanging on the same bass for years playing it. It changes with you. Amps and cabinets I change more often. Thinking about selling and changing again and I bought a cabinet 2 months ago. I think the amplification and speaker cabinets are changing faster right now. Also basses are more expensive and dependent on the make much more expensive.
  20. bassbenj

bassbenj

I only quit buying when I quit playing...which I did for over 30 years! But then I suddenly got back into it first with gigs and now with just fun and "education". And while I thought GAS was gone forever, it returned with a vengance! Now I've got gear I only dreamed about before I took my vacation!