Gig at Buddy Guy's Legends ?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Road-Dog, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Road-Dog

Road-Dog

Our band is going to do some dates up north and we have been offered a nite at Legends, but been told if we want to play there it will be with no pay. The agent booking our gigs said that is standard there for first time acts. We think it would look good on our resume, so we are thinking of taking it. Anyone familiar with the place and if that is standard or are we being duped?
  2. obimark

obimark

Then essentially you are "Paying to play" there, as it certainly won't be free to travel up there. Figure out how much it will cost you, travel, setup food, lodging etc.
    Then ask your agent how much he wants to contribute towards this MARKETING effort. Maybe 25% is a good starter number for him to pay.
  3. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

First time for free? No way. Not even if Buddy Guy asked me do it himself. Even if the agent forfeited his commission it wouldn't be worth it. Just their way of getting free entertainment for the night.
  4. Not yet

Not yet

Different viewpoint.... Chicago scene is filled with world class players that can take years to break into community

A good set at Buddy Guys can break down huge barriers... And it's one of the most fun stages to play out there

Place fills up almost every nite and the crowd totally pays attention to the music... But you gotta bring it.. Can be intimidating, Buddy Guy if in town is almost always there

I would do it in a heart beat again, instantly established my creds out there and now when in town sit in.... Work The room get to know the folks

Great opportunity from my viewpoint, and that Legends logo behind your head on your website is a key to the kingdom

Unless of course you only in it for the money
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Not yet

Not yet

Curious, who you opening for?
  7. ransombass

ransombass

Buddy Guy even has a song on his disc "Skin Deep" called "Show Me the Money".

"On my way home
    I stopped to catch the last call
    I could hear the band jamming
    The people was having a ball
    The owner asked me
    If I would sit in
    I said, I ain't no dummy
    Show me the money"

He wouldn't even sit in without getting paid.
  8. Road-Dog

Road-Dog

First off, I really do not want opinions from you folks about "paying to play", or that you are so well known that you would turn down Buddy Guy unless he paid you. It would be nice to be so popular ,but our band is paying some dues in the blues world. Hell, if Buddy asked me personally, I would drop my own dime to get to Chicago, but that is me.
    My question is about the club its self and if that is standard?
    We are using a new agent, so a little back door checking on things never hurts.
    If you have knowledge or advice about Legends, like "Not Yet" offered great, otherwise I do not want to get into a debate about how you would do things. There are other threads for that.
    Having never been there I appreciate real information.
    As far as opening, do not have details yet, just starting the talk now, but thanks for the advice. And no if it were the money, I would play a whole different genre, blues is what I do.
  9. Not yet

Not yet

If you guys do it, pm me, I could get some word out for you and talk to a few friends about maybe getting you some radio mention..... It's a very close community once you get in.... But it is my favorite town to play in even though haven't lived there for a decade. I keep a bass there just to go sit in once a quarter or so

Highly recommended. Like you, just a blues player...
  10. ransombass

ransombass

Doesn't sound like it matters to you whether you get paid or not, so just do it. It'll be a great experience. Friends of mine (The Dustin Pittsley Band) played there last month for no pay, but got to meet Buddy and get their music into his hands and got some great advice from him.

Just go for it.
  11. Not yet

Not yet

What he said and one last point..... If you really kill the crowd it is far from unheard of that Buddy will come out for a song.... Seen it many times
  12. DrayMiles

DrayMiles Gold Supporting Member

I've been there and I've been a "fixer" in a past life.

I think you should do it, but treat it like a vacation. I don't know what your budget is, but if I was doing it and WANTED to do it, then I would book an inexpensive hotel.. take the Mrs. (The entire band should consider it), stay outside of Chicago, and travel in to sightsee things and hang out until the gig. Do the gig, stay overnight.. and travel back. I was in Buddy's club when it was called just that. I sat down in the wrong area and met Jr. Wells and his entourage... and Buddy was there as well..

But,

Don't expect anything from the gig. That isn't the right way to look at it. Do it as an investment, but don't look for an immediate return. You'll be disappointed..

Try to book some stuff around it, the trip does need to be cost effective. If doing the gig means suffering or causing financial hardship on your entourage, don't do it... IMO.. The guys are probably right about them wanting a free opening act, but life is full of risks and CALCULATED gambles..
    ;)
  13. DrayMiles

DrayMiles Gold Supporting Member

Get pictures, get autographs, get the agent to put together a press pack around the event. That's all you should expect...

and.. (Here it comes;))

don't expect to be treated well, don't be surprised if they won't let you take photos (so ask first!) and don't think you'll make any bread on the gig obviously..

And after saying all of that be cool and chilled.. Take the experience with a grain of salt, and yes... You never know what could happen from it. Just don't forget you're there on business as well so SHMOOZE at the gig. Tell the wives that you have to TCB and do it!

Good Luck!

Oh yeah, obviously you need to kick butt and play better than ever!
  14. Not yet

Not yet

Pictures should not be an issue, video can be, especially if a name is up w you
  15. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

I'd do it so I could put it on a resume.
    Maybe get some PIX with The Man.
  16. rockinrayduke

rockinrayduke Supporting Member

Best of luck to ya, Road Dog. Hope it pans out.
  17. Road-Dog

Road-Dog

Thank you for the advice guys! Wives and girlfriends do not travel with us, this is our job. They might come to a local gig, but never on out of town gigs. We will be out for a couple weeks. Someone has to stay home and feed the dogs. I appreciate the info about the club and what to expect there. Hopefully if we get the gig it will open another door, if not it will be a great memory.
    Not Yet-- I will contact you when set, looking at end of April or early May. Thanks for offering, any publicity will help.
  18. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Look at it as an adventure.

As others have said, you must seize the opportunity and turn it into something significant.

But you cannot underestimate what I like to call the "adventure quotient" of the thing. Just plan to have all the fun you can and mix some business with your pleasure.

Godspeed, John Glenn.