1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gig Bag Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassgrooves2, Nov 10, 2012.

1. bassgrooves2

bassgrooves2 Supporting Member

Not sure if this is where this post should go, but I am looking to get a nice gig bag that is protective, has some extra storage and has backpack straps or a comfortable way to carry the bag hands free.
    I have been looking at the iGig G15 for its capability to carry other gear along (laptop, micro amp / interface, etc)
    The Mono cases also look very nice, but with a bit less storage. I would really love to find something that is a bit les expensive though.
    Money is tight these days, but the crap Fender Gig Bag I have been using is really lacking.

FWIW I have always used hardshell cases in the past, but have seriously downsized my rig and would like to go minimal, but still carry me gear easily. Basically Im tired of having to lug around my extra backpack with chords, DI, Interface, Laptop, etc.
  2. ()smoke()

()smoke() Supporting Member

if you aren't in a big hurry, keep an eye out for sales and specials on mono gigbags--mono blew some out last year just before new year and a lot of people bought them for about 1/2 price. they are a great product at regular price.
  3. bassgrooves2

bassgrooves2 Supporting Member

Thanks for the tip. I'm not in any hurry, I just want to find something that will work well enough for me to actually enjoy using it.
  4. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

5. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

6. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    If you want some more space with the MONO add a "Guitar Tick" to it.
  7. kai_ski

kai_ski Supporting Member

I found these bags to be a little too short for my 4 on top 35" scale Lull's. They are generally fine for 34" scale basses.

I love my mono m80 dual bag. twice the price, but worth it so far.
  8. Testing123

Testing123 Supporting Member

hang-tight.jpg

I've found my Mono case is not 'Tick ready'. :-(
  9. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    Sigh :(

Tick works great as a carry bag too I suppose!
  10. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

I just purchased a Mono dual M80 bass case that should arrive on Weds/Thurs.

I will be selling my almost new Mono M80 single in a couple days so either hit me up with a PM or watch the For Sale section in a few days. Gonna be asking $130.00
  11. hover

hover

Yeah, they did a couple months back on Amazon too, got mine for 130 bucks.

Another nice option, in that vein of hybrid cases, is the Gator G-Comm series.

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...a=X&ei=XCehUJykNuS60AHp7YHwBw&ved=0CFcQ8wIwAA
  12. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

I use an iGig. I am on my second one. The first one still looks new except for one of the rubber handles looking a bit ragged and I saw one shoulder strap starting to tear so I set it aside until I can get it to a tailor. It has a ton-o-miles on it and I carry a lot of weight in there. I could be a little nicer when I pick it up by one shoulder strap too but in any case (no pun intended) I did not hesitate to get another one to take its place. It carries my bass, my head (a Shuttle 6.0 or 9.0), all the cables I need, a boss tuner pedal, tools (in the iGig tool pouch that came with the first bag), batteries, and a bunch of spare bits. The new iGIg that I got is slightly different as it has a single loop securing the neck to the "pillow". Otherwise it seems pretty much the same. I have tried other bags and not found any to compare with the iGig. I do want to get the new Mono top-loader for my spare bass though.
  13. cr250_977

cr250_977

Do not get the double bag.. I bought one. After a few weeks it ripped at the seam near the handle. Figured it might just have been a bad one so I sent it back and got another.. Same exact thing happened.. Obviously cannot handle the weight of 2 basses + cables and accessories..
  14. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

I have the single bag and have had no problems. You're probably right about the double bag having an issue with the weight of two basses. Hadn't thought about that. Of course if you use the extra compartment for sheet music, folding music stand, folding guitar stand, effects pedals or other lightweight stuff it might work out OK.

I like the arrangement of handles, the carry angle, the smooth zippers, the big pockets and the price point.
  15. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Reunion Blues, I got mine in 1984. Still using it today.
    Lots of gigs and still in great shape.
    Looking to get another.
  16. SLaPiNFuNK

Disclosures:
    They just came out with a new leather bag... The Renegade. It's pretty hot!
  17. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I am a huge fan of the Protec Contego bag. GREAT design, affordable, good pocket space, good protection.

I've owned iGig, Mono, inCase, etc., and to me, even though it is much less expensive, the Contego is the best of the bunch when you consider protection/weight/pocket space.
  18. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

That's pretty cool. Can it fit a Shuttle 3/6/9 or LMIII size head? I do like all the handles on the iGig better though. Everywhere I grab, there's a handle.
  19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The iGig is a fine bag, and is tops on storage. The two things I didn't like about it (at least the version I had) was that it was more of a soft bag than a hybrid, so not a ton of protection, and it weighed a lot.

The Contego has two large front pockets, and you could definitely fit a micro in there. However, the pockets are not nearly as heavy duty as the iGig, so I would worry about reliability of the pockets over time. If you really want to carry relatively large, heavy stuff like a laptop or micro in the bag, the iGig is probably your best bet.

I guess I would just warn you that the iGig, with a bass and a head, with all the cables involved, tuner, etc. is quite a load on your back. I prefer to carry 'all things bass' (a couple of instrumnet cables, tuner, strap, spare strings, tools and any music I need for the gig) in the bass gig bag, and then get a small bag for my head and associated cables. I typically set the bag on top of my cab with my stand on a cart (I use the Kart-a-bag Super 600, which has stair walkers and a nice tie down system built in).

Just IMO there... too much crammed into an 'already heavy' gig bag is not my idea of fun.
  20. Factor88

Factor88

I've been using a this bag for about 6 years and like it. I'm pretty tough on equipment and this bag has held up except one of the zippers on the front pocket is ripping out; but I overstuff it and "force" it all the time, so I'm not sure if this is a manufacturing flaw or user error. Anyway, for what it costs (~$50) I have been very happy.