Gig Bag

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 2string1, Dec 6, 2013.

1. 2string1

2string1 Supporting Member

I'm looking for a nice gig bag that will hold my pbass and Aquilar TH500, Empress comp and cables. Holy cow...do they make such a thing?
  2. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

I just went to a thrift store and found a good leather computer bag. Its about the size of a carry on. Works great- cost two dollars.

That being said, when I upgrade/downsize my rig this year, I'm probably switching my current load in to a targus backpack, and ill use my current bag for emergency backup stuff.
  3. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

Kikstand, he mentioned the bass too, not just his effects gear.

2string1, there are tons that would suit your needs. Heck I even have a Solutions bag that I carry to gigs all the time with gear equivalent to yours.

Have you googled the various bag maker's websites?
  4. 2string1

I don't think my pbass will fit in the leather computer bag.lol
    Yes I've google for one. The Igig looks pretty good. But I am not sure the TH500 will fit in the pocket. Was hoping someone has the same bass and amp combo with a bag.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

Check with Jason at www.bassstringsonline.com and see what he has. He's got a lot of stuff not on the site and he will get you the best price as well. He has a discount for TB users as well, so make sure to tell him your TB username :)
  7. 2string1

Is it OK to maybe move this thread over to the Aquilar TH500 thread. Maybe a better place to ask.
  8. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

It really depends on what your budget is, but there are several that will fit a bass and a micro bass head which include:

iGig

Levy's

Reunion Blues

Gator

SKB

Access

Gig Skinz

Just about every bass manufacturer has an available gig bag as well. Plus many stores carry their own branded gig bags.

I have heard great things about the iGig bags, but have not seen one in person. Plus, you pay for that quality.

Mono has great gig bags as well, however the pockets are small and you would need an additional bag for the amp head. Small mixer bags tend to work well as do laptop bags.
  9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I have a Mono case that I love! The detachable guitar tick may very well hold a micro head.
  10. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Mono M80, Mono Vertigo, Sadowsky Portabag, and the iGig would certainly work. The Vertigo would probably have the least amount of space. The M80 would fit it all, but it would be tight.

I don't think the Mono Tick would hold a TH500. Maybe a TH350 but I'm not sure. It would barely fit a GK MB200 which is tiny. If the tick was a little wider it would fit no problem, but it's pretty narrow.
  11. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

Yeah.....Ooops! :oops:
    Lol!

:banghead:
  12. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

I am not sure the Mono M80 would fit all but the tiniest heads. Maybe something like a GK MB200. Not so sure on something like a Aguilar TH500 or MarkBass LMIII. I think the idea behind the Mono cases is to keep them small and slim and up-sell you on the Tick or other aftermarket bags they offer for more substantial storage.

The thing with jamming too much into a gig bag is it ends up becoming heavy and doesn't balance well (tends to fall forward when placed leaning up against something). The plus is you have everything placed in one spot.
  13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I don't think a MB LMII/III would fit. I'm not sure of the size difference between those and the TH500. I did think the TH500 was a little smaller.

I regularly carry my MB500 in an M80 double or Vertigo along with a power cable and speaker cable. There isn't much room left for other stuff in the big pocket though. I'll add the Tick on to carry my strap, instrument cables, ear plugs, batteries, etc.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Have high end gig bag makers ever started putting the straps on so the headstock doesn't stick up 3 feet over your head? That is my greatest pet peeve about these expensive gig bags. Why they do that, I will never know.
  15. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

I think it's so that you can walk and sit down.

Also, if the shoulder straps attached at the neck part of the bag they'd only be good for very narrowly shouldered individuals.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Do people really sit down with a gig bag on their back? ;) New one on me!

Point taken about the narrow straps, but there are ways around it, such as attaching the straps to the side of the bag or making the neck part wider.
  17. GM60466

GM60466

You'll love reunion blues bags
  18. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

We share at least one common peave Jimmy.......
  19. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

The straps on the Sadowsky Portabag unclip, and there are two different anchor points at the top. So you can rig it with one strap or two, and the bag can sit higher or lower with regard to your head.

That feature is why I bought one, even though I already was using another good quality gig bag on which the straps were permanently stitched. For my schlepping, one strap over the shoulder, slung so the headstock isn't more than a couple inches above my head, works best.
  20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Ewo, that's what I call "using your noggin!" That bag looks very cool. Next time I'm in the market, it goes on the short list.
  21. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Har! Good one, JimmyM.

I've got several months' use on it now, and it's an excellent choice. A bit more bread than some others, but worth it IMO.