1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Gig on Superbowl Sunday?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by elgecko, Jan 24, 2014.

1. elgecko

elgecko

I picked up a gig this Sunday 4pm-7pm. It's a jazz combo for a corporate event at a microbrewery. I can't imagine that the Superbowl WON'T be playing...in which case, why on earth would they want a band?

:confused:

It pays well so I don't really care but it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.

EDIT: Ha ha, I'm lame. As Marginal Tom pointed out, it's next Sunday. Not this sunday! :p

2. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me. Supporting Member

Back when I was doing standup, I seemed to always get booked during the Stanley Cup finals. 3 years in a row I had a show at the exact same time as a game. It was a nightmare. At least in a band, no one really has to pay attention. I just had a bunch of drunks shouting at me to shut the F up so that they can hear the game.

3. Marginal Tom

Marginal Tom

The Super Bowl isn't this Sunday, it's next Sunday, February 2.

4. elgecko

elgecko

Oh, that makes a big difference! :atoz:

:p

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

That is interesting I don't know what time kick off is at. If they have the Super Bowl playing you may be just providing some smooth, silky jazz to create an atmosphere. If the Super Bowls not playing guess they may not be die hard foot ball fans. Or attendance could be low I hope not though but either way your getting paid.

Let us know how it goes hopfully your band sets up in sight of the game.

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

It'll be a great gig! At random points during the performance the audience will explode into cheering and applause! :hyper:

I played a gig during the playoffs once, and I was like "They dig us! They really dig us!!" Then I figured out they weren't even paying attention to the band....... :rolleyes:

8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

OK, I just found out what day the super bowl is on.

Yeppers...I'm a HUGE fan of hanging with a drunken mob who can't top screaming.

10. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

I would be turning that gig down........

GO HAWKS!!!!!

LOB!