gig options for teens

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by vqlt, Mar 2, 2014.

1. vqlt

vqlt

My son is in a local So. Cal. teen rock band. They have played all the local fairs and festivals. They would like to play venues but most in So. Cal. are prepay (pay to play). I'm looking for other gig options to help increase their fan base. Any suggestions?
  2. sparkyfender2

sparkyfender2

3. tmdazed

tmdazed

community halls and school gyms are often empty and waiting for stuff to fill them. it may cost a few dollars to put shows or cabarets on , but split shows with 5 or 6 bands often draw quite a few people and at 10 bucks a head , you should be able to cover costs, but dont expect to make a ton of cash , but there should be a few bucks in the kitty at the end of the night to split for the bands. we did this quite a bit back in the day until we were old enough to play adult shows, often times attracting 2-300 kids
  4. vqlt

vqlt

We have contacted many local schools and offered to play for free at lunch time. only a few have taken us up on the offer. I will look into renting a local school gym and hosting a gig. hopefully the cost will not be too much but around here they are probably more concerned with the liability issues. not sure if I will be able to convince a school district or community center to allow us use of their facilities
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tmdazed

tmdazed

it takes some leg work , community association teen dances are another untapped resource, you could find out who to contact to get your names on the performer lists
    self promotion is a fact of life these days if you want to get out and play, keep at it , it comes eventually
    student srcs are good as well , get hired for a few dances and proms perhaps
  7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

What happened to manager/mom? That's what managers do, y'know.
  8. vqlt

vqlt

Just in case momager does not work out I need a backup plan! :)
  9. DannyBob

DannyBob

Hire a flatbed.
    Load with equipment.
    Just go to a random busy street at a lunchtime and play and play.
    Loads of media attention and recognition.
    Sorted.
  10. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

How does a bunch of teenagers, who should be in school themselves, play a gig at another school during lunch time?
  11. Dave in LB

Dave in LB

There are always sorority/ fraternity gigs that may be available too on weekends. May require chaperone but could pay nicely
  12. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

when I was a teen, (late 80's) we would play at all-ages shows held at VFW or American Legion halls. These were usually set up by a "promoter" (usually the older brother of someone who had his own band and the contact at the hall), and usually featured mostly young (hardcore/punk/metal) bands. There were also many churches who would have "teen nights" that we would play at. (We were a prog-metal band a-la Fates Warning/Queensryche etc.). We would also play at house shows, but that was usually not "adult supervised"...at least until the cops got there.

We also did many of our friends birthday parties, and since I was in band, we would also do marching band parties. Also played our Homecoming, Prom and other dances at school. I realize we are not in the age of live bands (or good music) being played at HS dances anymore. The school I teach at now hosts a Battle of the Bands, and I think many HS's still might do that.

We were lucky enough to play in some of the dive bars on Ohio States campus as well, with our parents being responsible for us. Mom would run the door, dad would run security etc... I don't know what the rules are now, but that is how most of my generation broke into the club scene. We played well beyond our years at the time, so many of the older bands took notice, and we made connections to open for them at the "official" rock/metal clubs

We would also do outdoor things at the local malls. Like on a Saturday afternoon they would have bands play to get people to go there...

just trying to throw ideas out.
  13. Lownote38

Lownote38

Leave SoCal so you can get paid. I had to do that when I lived in upstate NY. PA was a better place to play as far as pay goes, so my band (made up of 13 year old kids) came up with a 4 set song list and we played in Pennsylvania every weekend. My father was out manager, and as long as he was there, it was okay with the bar owners for us to play.
  14. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

How about nursing homes, retirement homes, Veterans' facilities, etc.?

Problem is your qualifier .. "build a fan base." Who are their fans? Other teenagers? Gotta go where the teenagers and pre-teens are.
  15. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Most places that routinely have crowds of people in them will have some kind of liability insurance. Depending on the policy, it may cover hiring the hall out or it may not. If it does then you are GTG, if it does not, you can contact their insurance carrier and see what they would charge you for a "per event" policy.

We hold indoor r/c car races from time to time and the places we use that don't cover outside events coming in, have always put us in contact with their insurance carriers so we can insure the place for our races. Depending on the place, it has run as little as $50.00 a day for 4 days to as high as $500.00 for those same 4 days.
  16. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133

Depending on the genre, house shows, DIY punk shows, etc.. are the way almost all of my bands get booked. Venues are a pain in the ass and completely not worth it if you're not in a specific set of genres.