Gig Poster templates ??

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mactac, Apr 27, 2006.

1. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Does anyone have any cool gig poster templates in MS Word (or other format) that I could use?

I need to make up som gig posters & am extremely terrible at it. A template of something cool & pre-made would work really well for at least getting me started

and no, the bar doesn't have poster templates :(

thanks in advance !!

Paul

2. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Disclosures:
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    I would be interested in something like this too.

3. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

I don't usually like to create posters in a word processing program. It's too linear.

Here's my philosophy on posters.

First, search through the net and find a cool free font that captures the feel of your band. Use that for your band name. I like to rotate the band name so it's at a diagonal, but that's just personal preference.

Next, find a second font that is similar in style, but a little more traditional than the first (when in doubt, Arial or Courier are nice fonts for this section). All the info like addresses, covers, directions, other bands, etc, can go here.

Finally, get a really straightforward font like Arial or Courier or something blocky and clearly legible. Your website address should go here and should be immediately visible in relation to the name of your band (I slant this and put it directly under the band name).

Honestly, this should be totally sufficient, although I'll usually go through and create a section of black background behind the band name and turn the band name white to make it stand out against the rest of the poster.

IMHO, the most important thing on this poster is the name of your band. Everything else is advertising a specific event, but the name is advertising YOU.

If you have some sort of Photoshop or similar program, I can make you a template or two to try...

4. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gregelka

gregelka

nice, I like it!

7. Tsal

Tsal

When I've done gig poster, I usually do them with Photoshop or something similar - I've even used MS Paint and came up with decent results. After that, print one out and take a couple dozen copies.

Yours is simple and informative, that's all that is required from a gig poster.

8. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Looks really good, dude. Actually, I'm a bit jealous, maybe I need to revamp my own style... lol...

Just keep it simple. The full color art deco 11x14 prints are nice, but you have to squint to see the details of the show down in the corner. You know the ones I mean. Get your name out there above all else - that will be your primary return from these posters, not your specific gig.

9. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Blah!! NOT NOT NOT NOT NEVER Photoshop...

Photoshop is a hammer - to design a poster you need a screwdriver... The hammer will work as a screwdriver, but it does a lame job.

Photoshop works with bitmaps, so you pick the resolution before you start. It just remembers the colour of every point on the screen. This means that either you need to use LOTS of points (huge files, slow), or your poster looks crummy.

To do posters you want a layout program that can position text and images (in old school terms you want MacDraw not MacPaint). Illustrator can do it but its overkill. I use a mac, and there's a great program "OmniGraffle" that does this job perfectly (good for CD covers too). If you're too cheap to buy it, there's a free demon version that is fully functionaly, but only allows a dozen or so objects at once - should do a poster fine.

Ian