1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Gig Report NAD Orange Terror & SP212

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by armybass, Dec 16, 2013.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Saturday night I played a gig with my new Orange rig. It is a Terror Bass 500 Head and SP212 cab. The gig was with my country/southern rock/funk band and I used a 2002 Ric 4003. The amp was run close to flat but still had to pull a little bass out of the eq. More than enough power and I had to keep turning it down lol.

The sound was warm and full and still crystal clear without the horn. This is my first cab without a horn in 25 years... And I like it. This rig might not fit all of my musical needs but it is perfect for most of them. This little cab can fill the typical room I play in no prob.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1387195900.022461.jpg

2. armybass

Must be a real popular amp....lol

3. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    When you say flat, do you mean 'knobs in the middle'? The nearest to flat setting doesn't really give you much by way of bass cut option, since its pretty much bass and treble all the way down, mids all the way up.

4. drea2304

drea2304

Ive been wanting one of these. How is the DI

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Nice amp, couldnt pay me to schlep the cab.

7. armybass

Won't use the DI till Friday. But I read it was HOT.

8. armybass

Schlep? The cab weighs 44lbs.

9. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

And has the output of a 112.

10. KJung

KJung

Nice. GREAT matchup with the Ric. I bet that grinds and growls! Enjoy!

11. armybass

Only thing I can tell you about the cab's output is that I had to keep turning it down and I play in a band a heavy hitting drummer and two guitars that crank. It is more than I will ever need for the gigs I play.

12. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Gold Supporting Member

Sweet rig. I love my orange setup. I guess that bass is alright too... ;)

If it's the newer revision of the amp the hot DI should be fixed. I have the original model and Orange fixed it for free a few months ago. Works like a champ now.

13. geddyfan

geddyfan Supporting Member

The DI is extremely hot. If you want to play with any dirt the sound guy won't like it. Can you turn down it's clipping. I run my DI from my tuner although it doesn't give me FOH tone I want I frankly don't care.

14. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Yeah, the hot DI and the no clean adjustment on the gain knob was fixed. Think the explodey caps thing was too, but more of a time will tell there.

15. armybass

I play Friday night with FOH support so we will see.

16. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

DI and Gain fixed now,played at a few festivals this year DI straight from amp-sounded glorius and even sound guy was impressed.
    More than enough for a gig in a pub without PA support.

17. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

What does that mean; DI and Gain fixed now? Did something get repaired, replaced or changed?

18. jeff62

jeff62 Supporting Member

Early versions of this amp had DI's that were too hot for typical soundmen. Orange fixed later versions and, based on reports, made warranty fixes to early versions. I shot an email to Orange support with the serial number of my TB1000 and they were able to inform me that my amp was produced after the fix. Still rockin the Orange when I need something ultra carryable (or just a backup).

19. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

i have been gigging a BT500 into a Baer ML112 or Bergantino Cn212 For the past 6 months. The Orange Bass Terror 500 is amaaaaazing and doesn't get the mindshare it deserves! GReat amps!

and SP212 is cool, but for the money, I feel I get much better performance from the Baer ML112 cab. Lighter, cheaper, might even sound better and is more versatile than the SP212 ..So I think?

20. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

+1 I use the same rig and now have my own Ric to run through it. TB500 is a beast. The SP212 is a darker sounding cab with huge low end extension and massive presence. Ric's from what I can tell are inherently bright (I've only used two of them). They sound really good together. Pure punch!

21. One Drop

One Drop Supporting Member

One of the bands that come through here every winter has a bassist who plays with a P or Mustang through the same amp, sounds glorious.

Chewy rich textured mids and heaps of growl and tight bottom, exquisite for the '70s-modern rock they play, and it comes out real nice through the PA from the DI.