Gig with Dead Rig

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by Means2nEnd, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Played last night in front of a couple hundred at The Chameleon Club last night as one of the supporting local acts for national act Otherwise. 5 seconds into our set my amp or cab or both died. Not sure what happened no chance to check it out at the end of the night. We had PA support I unplugged my Aguilar and plugged balanced line into my pedal board during sound check because it was screwy thank God. Anyway we had zero of me in any of the monitors but was out front. I couldn't hear a thing at all was crazy night. Anyway it was a first I had two other guys from other bands last night night comment on our set and my bass tone. They said my tone killed. I laughed and didn't get into it but all I could say is Warwick. Really that's all it was just my bass period...

2. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

Disclosures:
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Sorry to hear about your dead Aguilar rig....but the rest is just a great story Means2nEnd! Glad it all worked out ok....and thanks for sharing! Classic!

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Geez! They couldn't feed you into the monitors? I know how you feel though. I did a gig many years ago at the restaurant on the top of the World Trade Center tower in NYC. Stage was made of metal (iron? steel? dunno!) and I was getting a real bad coupling hum that just could not be removed no matter what I did so off went my amp and into a DI. I was supposed to be added in the monitors but all I could barely hear were the mains. Ruined my night and was glad when it was over!

4. BigEp78

BigEp78

If I'm playing a small gig or at church (1500 seat auditorium), I - MIGHT - break down and put my Ampeg 2 X 10 combo on the appliance dolly and drag it in...if someone can't get my volume adjusted up enough in their ear-pieces and ask, I'll drag it out. Outdoor festivals and large venues, I roll in the cabinets and rack, no question obviously. That to say this, if given my preference, and only one PA channel, I'd run straight out of the DI box at the end of my pedal chain. 2 PA channels that can be blended, I'd send one from the DI in front of the chain, and at the end of the chain (pre and post effect), over going out of the XLR on the back of an amp. My logic: I SPENT THIS MUCH MONEY ON GETTING NEW GERMAN WARWICKS (couple older Wicks. and a vintage Fender or two) SO PEOPLE COULD HEAR MY BASS...not my amp. I have expensive amps not for their sound, but to amplify the sound of my bass. However, note I said we have ear monitors...no monitors and just mains...totally uncool and majorly uncomfortable for the musician. Don't care how long you've been playing, you're going to have that, "Where the hell are we" look on your face all night. Been there done that, glad those days have passed! Good luck to you!

5. Register to disable this ad