1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Gigging the good stuff?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by milkman-27, Sep 23, 2013.

1. milkman-27

milkman-27

How many of you use your more expensive basses to gig with? I have a gig coming up (first one in a very long time).I am kind of worried about taking my new Fender Am. Precision. I have two basses that are gig worthy but don't play as good as the Fender. I have heard horror stories about people getting their equipment stolen right out from under them around here. Not to mention my guitar player got the head snapped off one of his guitars before. I want to sound professional and look it too, I definitely want to impress because I feel like I have something to prove being out of the game for so long.

2. awilkie84

awilkie84

What kind of venue are you playing? Are your instruments/gear going to be a visible place with adequate supervision when you're not using them?

3. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

West Grove Pa (via the Northside of the 'Burg!)
    There is a reason you got the bass...to gig with!
    I would use it but just protect it and keep a good eye in it

4. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

take your nice bass, and put it in a gig bag, and hold it over your shoulder the entire evening.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. milkman-27

milkman-27

That's just it. I have never been there before. It is a bar, but a pretty decent establishment from what I gather. I can say this, I didn't buy the Fender to leave it in a case and only get it out on occasion. I want this to be my main player, I just won't be getting another is something happens to it.

7. 110s lover

110s lover

Security is decent at most places now...cant imagine how that could happen, they'd have too get past the bouncers surely?!

8. milkman-27

milkman-27

The stories that I have heard were mostly when people were loading the equipment up after the gig. People would just get there vehicles broken into.

9. kedo

kedo

Load your vehicle, and drive away.

10. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

depends on the venue. If in doubt do a walk thru a few days prior to the gig.

11. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    If the gig is safe for me, it is safe for my bass.

12. MtJam

MtJam

Go for it! I just gigged my Alembic Series 2 for the first time this weekend, and I loved it. Fortunately, I bought it used so it already has marks of "character." Yes, I was slightly concerned about bringing it, but I bought it to play!

Keep a good eye on your axe if you're concerned about theft, and tell your guitard to move over so he doesn't ding your bass when his neck suddenly goes out of control.

If you're not playing on a stage, watch out for drunken patrons falling over monitors and knocking your mic stand into your bass. I've suffered that before!

Have fun, and enjoy that bass!

13. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    True. One "pro" tip for loading in/out:

Do it in pairs, two people, one going in when the other's coming out. Keeps the truck guarded at all times.

14. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    My expensive boutique does all of my gigs except outdoor ones with a chance of rain and the odd rough biker bar. No point owning it if you don't gig it, IMO.

15. atrapp

atrapp Supporting Member

I always gig my best basses - Sadowsky, CallowHill and Low End these days... etc. Why would you own the best and not play them?
    Get good insurance (music pro works well for me).
    Never leave them in your vehicle, say your goodbyes, load amps/cabinets out first and then your basses - get in and drive home. I always unload my basses at home, but as I live in a safe higher end neighborhood the rest of the gear will be ok in the garage.

16. Gbass75

Gbass75 Supporting Member

Instruments are meant to be played... so, unless you're wealthy enough to be a collector who simply appreciates basses for the art of their craftsmanship, get out and play them thangs!!!

I love playing out with my Ric v63!!!

17. awilkie84

awilkie84

^ This from someone with how much invested in Foderas? ;)

I agree. Worst off, check the place out before the gig & assess. I think you're fine, though.

18. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

I gigged with Mexi Fenders and el cheapo Squiers, my MIA stuff usually stayed home. The way I figured it, the sound guy had the bass so buried in the mix it didn't matter what I played.

19. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I gig the Bass that I love to play the most. Right now I am torn between two, My RIC and My SH Fender Precision. I have to chose one though and I'd be devastated if either one got stolen.

20. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I view my basses as tools that are meant to be played, so they all get gigged.

21. jmarcus2

jmarcus2

Yes. Go with your best. I've been on tour, in sketchy bars, etc. NEVER, I repeat, NEVER let it out of your line of sight unless it's with someone you trust... even then.

Also, NOT in your car, even if it's out of sight. Someone here last week just lost a unique MM that way.