Giggity on bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by andrew, Feb 12, 2013.

1. andrew

andrew

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Regenerate Guitar Works
    Anyone try the Voodoo Labs Giggity pedal on bass?

2. ric4682

ric4682

I'm curious about this as well!

3. JCooper

JCooper ...meep. Supporting Member

Last summer I tried one briefly in a local shop, not at full volume, not through my gear.

My impression was that it brought a bit of a "Hi-Fi" element, like it might help a cheaper amp sound better.
    (not that you, andrew, would have that issue!)
    At the time, I was looking for an overdrive...so I kept looking.

4. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

You knew someone had to do it:

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. insubordination

insubordination

I have one and keep meaning to try it on bass, but I can tell you for sure that it's awesome on guitar. I took it in on trade to try it out and ended up loving it, despite its dumb name.

It works best for me first in line of my pedals as a tone shaper to work with different guitars, but it also does a great job of adding clarity and definition to drive pedals after it. I originally tried it after dirt pedals as an EQ, but ended up liking it more upstream. There are a lot of tonal possibilities, plus it has a heavy duty case and soft-touch footswitch, if you're into that sort of thing.

I will have to try it on bass and report back!

7. andrew

andrew

Disclosures:
    Please do, I'd like to know. On paper it seems like the kind of pedal bass players would love but the lack of response suggests it isn't getting much love on bass.

8. insubordination

insubordination

So I have been away from my bass rig and regular bass because practice was canceled this week, but I tried the Giggity at home last night in abnormal circumstances--that is to say using my girlfriend's Danelectro Longhorn bass (which I quite enjoy playing actually) and Vox practice amp, and then through a Crate Powerblock and Emperor 2x12 guitar cab.

In these instances, the Giggity seemed to amplify the hi-fi nature of the bass, but definitely added fullness, though not necessarily extra low end, even with the "Body" knob up. With that knob increased and the sun-moon dial all the way to moon, things got darker and low middier, but never unpleasant. And again, using the Giggity to drive an ARC Effects Big Green Pi...let's just say I got lost for a few minutes with that combo.

I am reasonably confident it would still sound good through a larger bass rig. It's not an EQ pedal per se, it's more of a tone-shaper with a bit of transparent OD mixed in. I actually keep the Loudness knob (input gain) at about 10 o'clock usually, it can add some harsher sounding gain once you past noon, and then you have to re-EQ everything, and it negates the cool sound you had before. But that's not really a drawback to me, it just is.

So I'd say, if you have the means to try one of these, go for it. Looks like they can be had for $100 used, and you'd get your money back out of it if you didn't like it. It's a permanent staple on my guitar board, and I try to keep effects around that are friendly to both guitar and bass, and would personally consider it to be good for that.

9. andrew

andrew

Disclosures:
    Thanks, sounds like it's a pedal I need to check out.