1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Gigs>Sleep

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BJMtz, Feb 25, 2014.

1. BJMtz

BJMtz

I have a weird work schedule that’s 5 on 3 off, so my "weekend" is hardly ever a real weekend. I rotate shifts every 6 weeks as well. Makes it a little tough to be a gigging bass player. Sometimes I just have to use vacation days to play, which I don't mind at all.
    How many people, and how often, do you do a gig late into the night then go into work early the next day? Fortunately I've only been in the situation once but as I was getting ready to head to work I got a call saying I didn't have to go in so I was able to go back to sleep. I'm supposed to have a gig on the 7th, then work the next morning. Gig ends at 1, bar is about 30 minutes away, and gotta be into work at 7 that morning. Gonna suck but I love playing.
  2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

It's not often anymore, but I do it every once in a while and it was pretty often back in the day.
  3. marko138

marko138

Never. But I did play a gig BEFORE work once when I was on overnights. Played at a bar, finished the set, packed up my drums and headed to the station at 11pm.
  4. Treadstone71

Treadstone71

I think that schedule might kill me. I suffer from "show high" quite often, and I almost never get to sleep before 3 am after a gig.

I always thought it would fade over time but it rarely does.
  5. HockeyDawg

HockeyDawg

We get booked on weekdays every once in a while. I try not to take the late slot but if I'm sleep deprived for one day, it's not that big of a deal.
  6. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I generally feel lousy the next morning at work after a show. It's manageable, and I make sure it isn't too obvious to anybody except me.
  7. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Supporting Member

one of my worst weekends went like this:

5pm Friday - leave Columbus for Harrisburgh PA
    11pm - arive for 12:30am gig
    2:30am leave Harrisburgh PA back to Columbus
    7:30am - arrive C-bus in parking lot of high school where students were doing solo and ensemble contest; change into suit and tie in car
    8am - 5pm - 27 different performances by percussionists
    6pm - arrive at home to change and go to gig with other rock band that night in C-bus
    8pm - arrive at club. Set up. Wait until 11pm to play
    3am Sunday - arrive home and die in bed....after getting White Castles
  8. marko138

marko138

Where in HBG did you play? I'm from the area.
  9. troy mcclure

troy mcclure

My worst experience was 2 years ago, I had a Friday gig that ended at 1:30 and had to be at work at 5:30 am, 2 and 1/2 hrs away for a special event that my company's VP was going to be at.. the rest of my crew were already in a hotel. I drove to the hotel checked in closer to 4 am than I expected and checked out at 5:20 am worked until 4 pm drove 2 and 1/2 hours back showered , ate ,went to my gig and played til 1:30 and tore down.

It sucks... as much as I like gigging, at 50 I like sleep more and now enjoy the weekends my band doesn't gig just as much as when we do.
  10. mboogiemanusa

mboogiemanusa

I've have never been somebody that needs 8 hours sleep in a row...more like 5 or 6. I currently host an open mic on Thursday nights at the local dive bar. 8pm til midnight ....after load out .....home by 1am. Sleep by 1:30am ..up at 5am and at work Friday at 6am. Luckily I only have a 10 minute commute to work and have a union technicians job where I don't have to deal with customers and boss I work for is 100 miles away. i do like to take a quick nap before the gig and can take a 20 minute catnap in my truck during my lunch time if needed. I will catch up on sleep during the weekends but been doing this for a couple years with no issues.