1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

gigs..what gear do you bring..how do you bring it?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by WCHIII, Dec 19, 2012.

1. WCHIII

WCHIII

All of us have our little bag packed with our gear most of the time pretty much organized. Mine is very cramped and Im looking for a better alternative. I was just curious as to what everyone thought was an absolute necessity and what you're packing it in. I always have my basics. I take at least 4 guitar cables, 4 speaker cables, 2 xlr cables, my boss pedal tuner, a clip on Peterson tuner as a back up, a long heavy duty extension cord, a couple of 3/2 pin converters for the extension cord, an 8 slot power strip, flashlight w/extra batteries, extra strings, 2 extra speakon connectors, a couple mic clips, all in a case that my Pearl double bass pedal came in. And to boot, my Genz-Benz 6.0 fits in there too. But like I said, I need to make a change and get a little better organized...
  2. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Just a suggestion, you might try moving this in the Band Management subforum (I'd think that would be most fitting).
  3. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

I have a fairly large hermetically sealed equipment case that I got for a song from my work. (It was a sample and it didn't work out.)

I have at least one of everything in there. I think that box weighs more than my 15" combo amp.

Cables (1/4" and XLR of various lengths as well as power cords and extension cords, a few short speaker cables), strings (not just bass strings), Tools (Screw drivers cutters, string winders, hex keys, knife, flashlight, batteries, tuner, volume pedal, needle nose pliers), Stands, aspirin, Imodium, tums, fast fret........

There's more stuff than what I listed, but you get the idea........ If I really wished that I had something several times and didn't have it, I have it now.
  4. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

I'm kind of a Boy Scout when it comes to what I bring. First of all, the way I bring it is a TrailBlazer SS. It carries everything I need in an SUV with 390 horses to get it all there as fast as I want. I always bring two basses. My main rig these days is a Mesa Walkabout Scout 15" combo and matching extension cab.

But my gear box is where the rubber really hits the road. It's a metal case with foam inside. It has everything, and I mean everything that I could ever need.

Spare head - GB Shuttle 6.0
    Active/passive DI box
    tons of cables
    tons of adapters
    tons of batteries (and I don't even use them)
    tuner
    SM58 mic
    extra bass strings
    extra guitar strings (and I don't play guitar)
    extra acoustic strings (and I don't play acoustic)
    tool kit (everything from electrical to guitar setup)
    gum (Extra Polar Ice)
    small first aid kit
    Ibuprofen, Aleve
    Immodium(sp)
    polish
    several kinds of tape
    extra straps
    chart book
    paper
    pens, pencils, markers
    and more that I can't think of

It's called "The Box of Doom" by all my musician friends. They never even ask me "Do you have ....." They just say "Hey can I go in the box of doom?" And I just say "Sure. Put back whatever you take."

I'll try to post a pic later.
  5. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

I use an electrician's work bag. It was on sale at Lowe's, and it has a wire frame opening so it will stay open when you open it up completely.

Lots of 1/4" cables, basically a spare for every one I use (4 x 10 - 12', 2 x 6', 2 x 1'), 1 x XLR (just a spare, usually use one sound provides), a power strip with a long cord, about 25 feet, a short extension that (1.5') that expands to 3 plugs, 3 x IEC power cord, tuner, spare bass strings, pen knife, small screw drivers, 9-volt batteries, small LED flashlight, spare amp (Eden WTX-260), 3-2 power adaptor, power checker, 3 or 4 short 1/4" cable to replace failures on pedal board, spare One-Spot (to run an essential pedal if pedal board goes out, or on gigs where I only bring my clean boost pedal), work gloves, needle nose pliers, nail clippers and nail files. And two hand towels, including a micro-fiber one my wife bought be specially for gigging.

I like the idea of bringing some Imodium and perhaps cold-relief meds- decongestant and cough suppressant. I usually have headache meds in the form of my arthritis meds, which I take with me almost everywhere.
  6. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

I've got a nice backpack I can fit most of my stuff in. Things that don't go into the backpack:

- 2x Fender MIA Jazz basses
    - 1/2x (depending on gig) GK NEO 4x10 cabs

Stuff that fits in the backpack:
    - GK MB Fusion (micro heads FTW!)
    - MB Fusion channel switch pedal & associated 1/4" cable
    - Set list printouts for the band
    - 3/4x 15' 1/4" cables
    - 2x 15' XLR cables
    - 2/3x speakon cables (always 1 spare, so 2 if running 1 cab, 3 if running 2)
    - 2x power cables
    - 1x heavy-duty power strip
    - SM58 mic
    - small flashlight (Mag-Lite Solitaire)
    - pocketknife
    - masking tape
    - permanent marker
    - 1Spot power adaptor
    - 5 effect pedals, with 1/4" patch cables to spare
    - Bass Brites string cleaner
    - hand sanitizer
    - pack of picks, though I don't generally use them
    - ...and a ton of twist-ties and rubber bands floating around the bag to make make cable management easier when re-packing it all

It's a very full backpack. Would love to get a MB200 head as a backup, if only it would fit :ninja:

--
  7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Mb200 in bass gig bag pocket... Mine is buried in a 1x10 combo. I'm toying with the idea of another as backup for my old tube head... Only as a 'predatory' GFS purchase at the right price though... My Streamliner seves the purpose now...
  8. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

1 or 2 basses in gig bags. The PA or a significant fraction thereof. Lots of cables, elec and signal in a duffle bag along with some outlet bars. Ipad, mics, ipad holder, bass specific cables, pedal board with bassbone and pitch black tuner in a sample / catalog case. Used to carry an mb500 in there as well.

As for the other stuff it depends on the gig.
  10. csanders

csanders

In the Bass case:
    - Corvette 5
    - small box of picks (various thicknesses... invariably a guitarist will lose the one pick that he brought with him)
    - spare strings
    - Spare strap

Effects Case (an old Samsonite hardshell suitcase with some rollie-wheels):
    - Pedal board
    - MB200 mounted to board
    - patch cables, wireless pack, instrument cables, primary strap, Triple-fi earbuds for IEM (all in an internal compartment)
    - small set of screwdrivers, tape, and other emergency repair stuff in the compartment as well. Working on organizing this section better.

I can make it from the car in one trip if I don't need the cab. Grand total of about 60 Lbs of gear. Not too bad, I think.

NEO 210 cabinet for optional stage monitor (typically run DI, but can mic it if needed)
  11. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

I have 2 cables, a tuner, a box of picks, a bag of fuses, an extra set of strings, and 5 or 6 extra tubes in a 17" laptop bag which also holds my microphone, iPad and iClip. My bass is in a gig bag with a small toolset and then my rack and cabinet... That's it.
  12. WCHIII

WCHIII

Thanks DP, I had no idea where to put this