1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Gimme Three Steps - Can someone explain the key?

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by funnyfingers, Jan 30, 2013.

1. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

I have been learning Gimme Three Steps from http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/l/lynyrd_skynyrd/gimme_three_steps_ver4_btab.htm

Seems very accurate. Even tried changing some parts to fit into what I think is the key of the song, but sounds great as written (though I transposed a few of the parts so just about everything is played fretted and in one position.

Anyway, what is the key of this? It looks like a D Major, but some things change this. I think one of the things that goes out of the key is because the guitar does some string bends. But there is another part that does 1 pattern moving up and then a slightly different pattern moving back.

2. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

Without looking at the tab, it's in D. When they go to what would properly be an Em in the key of D the chord is actually an E or E7. They probably also use 7th (which is the major 7th one half step down, or flattened) chords in lieu of major chords throughout which is common in blues progressions. Makes them sound bluesy.

Also, the bass line (and lead guitar) probably uses transition notes between chords that are not in the scale. This is also common.

3. obimark

obimark

I think of it as a D-A-E modified type blues pattern.

It doesn't quite follow the twelve bar blues pattern but it is fairly close. I guess overall you'd call it a D-Major. The one E-Lick reminds me of the daytripper riff except an octave lower.

4. jaywa

jaywa

It's in D.

As recorded it's a pretty busy bass line with some nice fills that nonetheless are pretty easy to play. And if you want to really cop the vibe use a pick.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. obimark

obimark

Actually, now that I think on it, is it a IV I V, or is it a I V II??

7. BassKraz

BassKraz Supporting Member

Original published key is D Major

8. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

+1 play it out on occasion. By the way, the tabs are usually way off on this one. Plus several others. Ha :)