1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Gitard issues

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jimmys15, Feb 12, 2014.

1. jimmys15

jimmys15

I play bass and some guitar in a 4 peace 70's, 80's and 90's classic and hard rock cover band.
    My guitar player plays drop tuned (Eb) songs in regular tuning, only he plays them 1/2 step down. Sometimes it can work but sometimes he'll play the Eb chord at the 6th fret instead of the tuned down open Eb. Or worse yet play open E or A notes with Eb or Ab chords.
    He seems to be able make it sound pretty good, so I don't say too much about it, he's also very stubborn and telling him doesn't change anything.
    So here's my dilemma: I will be playing guitar too, and we are getting a new bass player. As I'm practicing the songs on our list, I realized there are also several songs that are tuned a full step down, and couple that are tuned in G (DGDGBD) but my gitard player seems to be able to play these songs in the same key, but in standard tuning.
    I might be OCD but I can't play effed up like that, I need to play these songs with some accuracy and many of his guitar parts I will be playing! What do I do?? I will be embarrassed to play these songs that way.

2. MattZilla

MattZilla

3. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    Ask him to help you.
    If the song is in E, learn it in E and play it in Eb with the band.

4. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass Supporting Member

Maybe post this at talkguitard.com....?? :p

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

practice practice practice!

7. LazyGecko

LazyGecko

The only advice I can give is don't play open strings and don't tune down. It would be best to just learn the song without having to do much else like drop tuning.

8. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

What key works best for the vocalist? Don't worry too much about the original key it was recorded in. Worry about keeping the singer going all night.

9. Lobomov

Lobomov

Get one of those new gibsons with the minetune? :D

10. JakeF

JakeF

Seems like everyone doesn't understand what you said. Let me see if I get this...

He can play songs in a different tuning then required but plays them fine.

But the fingering/phrasing/differences weird you out?

11. Lobomov

Lobomov

My take is that OP can't just make go in a standard tuning and that either he has to retune between each song or make the band play them all in the same tuning.

12. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

The usual solution to having to play in several different tunings is to bring several different guitars to the gig. Just pick up a different guitar when you need that specific tuning.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff