Give me free expert medical advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by oniman7, Dec 26, 2012.

1. oniman7

oniman7

So, since TB is full of PhD's in everything, I thought I'd ask here. For reference, I am 17. I'm roughly 5'6" and 110 lbs. I eat an inordinate amount but can't keep weight on. I have a somewhat active lifestyle but no regular exercise. My mom has been diagnosed with Diabetes, Lupus, Crohn's, Fibromyalgia, PCOS, and other unfortunate things (this will be important in a second).

Anyways, I have two things I'm curious to see the take on: poor circulation and diabetes-like symptoms.

My fingers and feet are always cold. I live in sunny Florida, but even in my house I have to wear socks and shoes and they're still cold and they can hurt. It really bothered me today as I was playing my new guitar, running scales, and my fingers were just cold and uncomfortable... I couldn't understand how they could be so cold while I was using them so much. This is a symptom of both diabetes and lupus, but I have neither of these.

However, I also exhibit diabetes like symptoms regarding food. I have an incredibly high metabolism, over 2,000 calories a day (sometimes closer to 3). If I don't eat within an hour or so of feeling hungry, a migraine will sometimes come on. Also, my energy level decreases, I become weak and dissociative with the ground sometimes spinning, and I get jittery in my hands. My blood will fill with an odd warm-cold feeling similar to that of a fever. I am told this is what it feels like to have low blood sugar, and I always feel better after eating a certain amount. I also, on incredibly rare occasions, will go the other way. For instance, if I were to have, say, a cookie, a cupcake, and an icee one after the other, I would start to feel very bad. Sick to my stomach, very warm in my blood, lethargic, confused, irritable, etc. and this is supposedly what it feels like to have high blood sugar.
    Since I was little, if I ingest a lot of sugar (like sodas at a birthday party), a couple hours later my energy level will plummet and I get the shakes again.

So, with the knowledge that you're all an anonymous group and can't diagnose me over the internet, go ahead and do exactly that! :bag:
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

See a physician?
  3. oniman7

oniman7

Yeah, but that's the boring answer. I'm used to people clamoring over each other to give their advice.

In all reality, I probably will be, so consider this like a betting pool.
  4. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

How do you know that you don't have diabetes or lupus? If a doctor told you, they should have also told you what you do have. Have you experimented with diet changes?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I don't think you're eating enough.
  7. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    My money's on PMS.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's also the correct and best answer.
  9. BassDoc51

BassDoc51

Do you have any any other symptoms of diabetes; like extreme thirst, night sweats, or frequent urination? None of the illnesses that you mentioned are worth delaying treatment for. For starters, go to a primary care physician and have them do a blood work up incluiding a hba1c. The longer it's left untreated, the more complications occur later.
  10. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Gold Supporting Member

Go see a doctor, needs repeating until you get it.

As far as 2000 calories a day, almost 3000, that's nothing to a high teenage metabolism (Despite my unrelated day job, I do have a degree in Biology/Nutrition). My basketball coach in high school made me hit 5-7000 so that my lanky 6'5 165LB frame would get to 200LB by the end of summer sophomore year. I got a job at a hotel restaurant and would eat things like blue cheese dressing and roast beef sammiches washed down with 4% chocolate milk and god knows how many eggs per day. I put on 20lbs in 4 months and starting losing once school set back in.

Today it would be more like 100lbs gained if I ate like that, but seriously your cal intake sounds on the low side. YOU NEED TO SEE A REAL PHYSICIAN and then a RD (registered dietician) to set up a proper plan based on blood tests, any allergies, etc.
  11. stratovani

stratovani

As far as I know (but I could be wrong) none of us here are physicians, so it would be foolhardy indeed - and probably illegal - for us to give medical advice. The only answer we are competent to give you is to go see a doctor.

End of thread.
  12. tplyons

tplyons

Over 2000 calories a day is not eating a lot. Over 3000 calories a day might not be eating a lot if your metabolism is as fast as you say it is.

Regardless, see a real doctor.
  13. macaroni tony

macaroni tony

You need to see a doctor and let us know what he says
  14. Topspin

Topspin

[​IMG]

But seriously, go to a doctor.
  15. Gazman

Gazman

Sounds like the battery needs replacing

(This is the limit of my knowledge, and it may not nessesarily apply in your situation)
  16. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

I suggest you eat BOAR.
  17. electracoyote

electracoyote

Sounds like that new STD I just read about.

Just kidding.
  18. knumbskull

knumbskull

i prescribe a course of leeches and flogging, followed by purging with holy fire.

or just go to a gosh darn doctors.
  19. oniman7

oniman7

Been to a doctor and had bloodwork. Nothing damning
  20. Waffles and Scotch

Waffles and Scotch

You need to practice more often.
  21. oniman7

oniman7

It has been my family's opinion as well that i don't eat enough and it's caused by a lack of fat