1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Giving away a shell pack

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StayinTime, Dec 1, 2012.

1. StayinTime

StayinTime

Hello TB, Hope everyone is doing well.

I am trying to give away a drum shell pack on CL.

I am trying to avoid it being re sold by some swap meet guy or someone who isnt sincere about playing music.

I also want it to go to someone who is having a hard time financially

i have been swamped with replies. My question do you think it would be in bad form to ask someone to expand upon their situation? Lots of scammers out there. Any thoughts?

2. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

I'd bet the genuine scamers would have the BEST stories. A phone conversation with them is still the best way to get a feel for who they are... Thats all you can do really...

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

You should include that in the CL post..."to avoid scammers, mercenaries, and other low-lifes, please be prepared to describe how this giveaway will enhance your given situation".

Riis

4. StayinTime

StayinTime

Thanks Funk. I have been narrowing it down. One guy told me right away he has cancer.

Hate to be rude and ask him about it, other than to say i am sorry he has it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. StayinTime

StayinTime

Thanks, Yup included all that. I am just wondering if you guys think its in poor form to ask some questions about their situation.

It isnt a expensive kit by any means, Just trying to make the right choice.

7. Zooberwerx

Knew that would happen. Here's a better idea....

Donate the items to a trusted, established charitable organization in your area. Sidenote: here in the Norfolk we have Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters which maintains a handful of thrift stores. Type up a detailed accounting of the individual items and assigned $$ values (check e-bay and the like). Get a receipt and claim the $$ amount as a charitable donation on your taxes. The charity will make some bucks, you get the write-off and don't have to deal with the public and the schmucks who crawl out from the woodowork. As long as you have a basis for the assigned values, the IRS shouldn't give you too much of a headache.

Riis

8. 4dog

4dog

Zoob great idea!!!

9. Zooberwerx

I have my moments. From what I gather, musicians frequently check-out pawn shops, thrift stores, yard & estate sales seeking treasure. I can just imagine some drummer running across a complete shell kit next to infants' clothing and old computers!

Riis