1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Giving notice..........

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by GlennW, Jan 25, 2014.

1. GlennW

GlennW

After years of checking ads on CL with nothing to show for my time and effort I've decided to place my own ad and inform them that I would no longer be replying to any more ads for musicians.

I've tried to "stick with it," but feel like the guy who keeps fishing in a parking lot puddle. I don't care how patient and persistent you are, you're not pulling any fish from a pothole full of water, they just aren't in there.

TBH, I'll probably go back to read the ads from time to time, but I mainly wanted to let them all know I wouldn't be replying.

2. fmoore200

fmoore200

Craigslist rage quit thread?

Space elevator

3. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

I've hooked up with 2 pretty good bands through CL and 3 really crappy ones.(I didn't stick around long with the crappy ones.) Currently making money with one that was not through CL and have a first gig lined up on Feb.22 with one of the good ones.I agree , most on CL seem to be duds but there are a few good ones out there to be had. In every gamble , the odds are with the house but every once in a while you beat the odds.

4. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

Yeah, that'll show them.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. electracoyote

electracoyote

That'll learn 'em.

I am certain your strategy will succeed and all the wannabe noob hacks will wither and die, never to be seen or heard from again on CL.

7. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Just about everyone can hook up on craigs. For bands I mean. Take a look back and see what you're doing that might be having that effect.

Go to open mic nights. Meet people.

If you're near a local college check out some courses in music. Not only will you get some exposure but you will meet people.

8. Milk

Milk

The part about playing with other people is the thing i don't like in music. If i could have robots to play the parts i'd be fine with that.

9. tmdazed

tmdazed

Sound advice, even talk to a few guys at live shows , kinda feel the waters out , not everyone is happy in their current bands or a few may be looking to do outside projects fill other needs

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Am I the only one who doesn't entirely understand what's going on here?

Would love to see the quit post too.

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Gotta agree! Nothing positive has ever come from my posting or replying to CL musician ads! I have had good luck with buying and selling gear though!

12. repoman

repoman

I meet some great guys (and one cool gal) on CL who also happen to be pretty good musicians. We've been playing out together for about a year hopfully actually getting paid for it someday. :cool:

13. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

I've played with some great folks, found some great band members and of course wasted some time on the other spectrum of the CL success spectrum. I like the convenience of it and met the new band I'm in now on CL. No complaints from me.

Regarding your ad. I really hope it doesn't shut down CL musicians section. I'd be sad.

14. Joe Nerve

Disclosures:
    I must admit that I too have met a lot of great people off of craigslist. Playing in a Zep tribute right now, which is a band I met through an ad I placed craigslist. I love these guys, and I'm playing some pretty cool shows with them. Played a sold out show at BB Kings in NY last night. Interesting note on this is that I just had a basic "bass player available" ad up, and I had just quit a different Zep tribute that was going nowehre. They emailed me and asked if I had any interest in a Zep tribute :). The last 3 bands I played in I in fact met through craigslist, and I had a lot of fun with them all. Things didn't go perfectly in those bands, but I don't believe that had anything to do with craigslist.

I've had some not so good experiences too, but I do my best to let that stuff go. The not so good experiences often wind up as interesting or funny stories. Had a girl who had me audition to a CD once, then congratulated me the next day saying I got the gig. She wanted me to commit to a rehearsal schedule, and I told her I'd like to meet the band first and play with actuall people - and she went ballistic on me. She demanded a commitment on the spot. The details of this encounter made it even crazier than it sounds... but anyhow, it's all just interesting experiences.

I've had people who led me on for a while too, and then just stop making contact. That's annoying, but I've learned to not get excited about anything until I'm on a stage with and band, and/or a check has cleared and I have cash in my hand.

My experience is this, with craigslist, and with life. If I expect something good, something good will happen. If I expect the worst, that too is what I will get. I believe, because it's been my experience, that we attract what we create in our mind. Guys who believe all women are liars, wind up meeting, dating, and sometimes marrying liars. People who believe they always get sick, always get sick. People who believe they have the worst of luck, have the worst of luck. People who believe the opposite of those things, experience the opposite, and again, it's my experience that this isn't a, well, what came first kind of thing. I was one of those people who always got sick, until I changed my thinking (long story on that one and it didn't happen overnight). I don't get sick any more.

I also have pretty cool experiences with craigslist. And I believe that's because I believe it to be possible.

15. Joe Nerve

Disclosures:
    OK, so I'm ranting a bit :). Had another few thoughts I'd like to put out.

If I were continually have bad experiences on craigslist, rather than blaming cragslist for my problems, I'd look at what I could do differently. I'd have to think that maybe it was something that I was putting out there that was causing my experience. The ad I had up, the ads I responded to, how I responded to those ads, etc.

I've learned from my experience to keep things as brief as I possibly can until I actually get to play with the people I'm playing with, and to keep all my interactions positive. For the most part that simply means I avoid words like no, never, don't, won't, can't, hate, not, no, etc. Seems like a little thing, but people can read a lot into emails and texts before meeting someone, and I prefer to keep it all in the positive till I meet face to face.

I aslo know there are a lot of people who answer ads on craigslist, audition for bands, don't prepare, and then get pissed when they don't get the gig. I know this because the people I get these gigs from (because I DO prepare) tell me their stories. And I've witnessed them myself. I remember auditioning one time where I was waiting outside the studio with a dude who was warming up, to audition before me. This guy smoked me on the bass. I was ready to just leave. Then he went into the room and it was a trainwreck. His "skills" had him believe he could just wing it and impress the hell out the band. I got the gig.

I go into any and every audition as though it were a gig at Madison Square Garden. I make the time to make sure I know the material I'm auditioning with better than the band I'm auditioning for. There is no excuse whatsoever NOT to do that. I'm married, work a 60-70 hr. a week dayjob, do a little volunteer work at a hospital, play in 2 bands, and I'm committed to my gym workouts.... and I make time to do it. If I want something bad enough, I make it a priority. Doing this enables me to play from the heart at an audition, and not my brain. I don't have to think about what I'm doing. I just become a part of the music, and enjoy playing confidently with band, as opposed to being that unsure guy, hoping I get the gig.

The above is what works for me. It's not an absolute formula that will work for everyone, but I think it's important that people find what will work for them. And not blame things outside themselves. We're only victims in this music game if we choose to be. And that's not to say I've never chosen that :). I learn from my experiences though.

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

It's a parody of Two Finger's Signing Off..... thread.

17. Joe Nerve

Disclosures:
    Ahh... gotta look into that. Thanks.

So my rants were pointless :). Yay! I needed to journalize that stuff for myself anyhow.

18. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Nah, I think good rants can come from a parody thread. :D

19. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

He's all discombobulated and flustrated!

I think it might have something to do with them darn sheep on the 404 error pages in CL. There's something shifty about them sheep.

20. GlennW

GlennW

Thank you. I was just about to edit the title to include the phrase, "It's a joke."

21. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I found my current band on CL;)