Giving the Delano P pickup a go...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassman blue, Oct 16, 2012.

1. bassman blue

bassman blue Supporting Member

Bought an older Japanese P Bass with a US Jazz neck and have been using it to gig. It has a Dimarzio P in it and as nice as it sounds on its own, it just gets lost in the live mix. Turning up only makes it sound muddy. My Dingwalls, using the same backline stuff sound great live and sound great on their own too. Anyway, going to swap out the Dimarzio and try the Delano P 'PMVC 4 FE/M2' with the big poles. Hoping they aren't too harsh but then in a live mix maybe they will at least cut through....

2. CB3000

CB3000 Supporting Member

I just put these in my MIA p bass and I was surprised at how good they sound. I am a fan of dimarzio model p's but the Delanos are amazing. Very even tone and volume all over the neck and not harsh at all. Smooth, at least on my bass.

3. bassman blue

I finally got my Delano pickup installed in my P bass today. I was a bit concerned that the pickup may be too bright, too clanky, too sterile for my liking, but took a leap of faith after reading all the positive comments on them and a recommendation from bestbassgear.com. Seriously, the only pickup I've ever liked as much as this one was a custom wound P from Stan Hinesley some time ago. Delano rocks!

4. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

DiMarzio Model P getting lost in the mix? That is very surprising. What is music are you playing? How are you eq'ing? I have a Model P/J in a passive fretless. It is anything but lost or muddy. Are you using 500K pots? That is what is recommended by the manufacturer.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassman blue

yes, have the 500K pots. i suspect your j pickup is helping as my P/J does well in our loud classic rock setting. i had been bumping the high mids, generally, but could not get a sound or the punch i was after with the Dimarzio.

7. makaspar

makaspar

Just put a Delano p-pickup in my frankenfender.. Sounds incredible! Even with flats, it's punchy, thick, and clear..

8. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

+1. In my experience the Dimarzio Model P is one of the hottest and cutting p bass pick-up I have ever tested.
    It somehow manages have a huge amount of presence and clarity without ever sounding harsh or aggressive.

Maybe these pickups have been damaged or somehow demagnetized (hard to do).

9. bassman blue

have now played a gig with the delano... much more presence and cutting than the dimarzio... eq'd the same. anyway, fwiw. very impressed with the delano p/u.

10. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Don't feel bad; I just switched from a Dimarzio Model P to a Lollar. I liked the Dimarzio but it wasn't working well with my bass, which has a warmer/darker tone.

11. bassman blue

hey pocketgroove. thanks, but i don't feel bad cause i found a great pickup (delano) that works great in a live band situation. the dimarzio is just not my thing. hope you are enjoying your new sound too. :)

12. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

Your Dingwall ABII should be able to cut through anything!