1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

GK 1001 rb ii with NEO 412?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jacobrownoly, Jan 2, 2014.

1. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Looking for some advice on upgrading my current bass rig. At the minute I am playing a GK 1001 r-ii with a GK rbx 410 (8 ohm) cab. I know that with this set up I am only going to be getting half the volume and power with the 8 ohm cab.

I think its time to get the full 4 ohms out of the 1001 :bag:

I know many will say just get another 4x10 (8ohms) but I need to sell my other 4x10 to get money towards the new one and I really only want one cab!

I have had my eye of the GK neo 412 for a while, any one have any experience with this cab? I love the sound of 10s so I am a bit fearful to go up a size. I love a nice tight punchy sound, think Flea!

Any advice will be much appreciated. :bassist:
  2. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have two of the Neo212's, which works out the same, and is amazing.
  3. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

It would cost more to go this road and I think the 412 is smaller that 2x212 overall :meh:
  4. Chef

Disclosures:
    It might cost more, dunno.
    Pretty sure they're nearly exactly the same size; although the 412 is deeper, and the 212's are a little taller, to achieve the same-ish volume for tuning.
  5. jacobrownoly

jacobrownoly

Do the 12s give good punch?
  6. Chef

Disclosures:
  7. 1bassplayin

1bassplayin

Oh yeah!!!
  8. SiSoldier

SiSoldier

I've also been thinking of jumping onto a 412 cab with the gk 1001 head. I think it would be a great set up.
  9. Crazyeelboy

Crazyeelboy Gold Supporting Member

A 1001 with a 412 cabinet would be a great set up. I would expect that the 412 cabinet has the standard GK 8 ohms.

In my "big rig" I run a 1001 with 212 (the combo version) and never needed to get more volume than I get with that at 8 ohms (and would not want to, as it might threaten the dental work of people in the audience). I would expect that having the 412 would only mean more output (even if still at 8 ohms) and would be more than plenty for any gig, especially if you have PA support.
  10. Crazyeelboy

At Chef - There could be a difference in the output if the 412 cabinet is at 8 ohms and the two 212s are also at 8 ohms each. With the 412 single cabinet, you have an 8 ohm impedance while with the two 212s, you have a 4 ohm impedance. My guess, though, is with the 1001, that would make a difference only if you wanted to blow out windows...
  11. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

+1 I've been using a GK 1001 RB-II with two NEO 212's for about 5 years and it sounds very punchy. The only thing that would make me think twice about any 412 is the size and weight. If those are not issues, then go for it.
  12. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

The GK 412 NEO is a 4 ohm cabinet.
  13. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

You are NOT only getting half the volume.

Using the same speakers, doubling your wattage only gives you +3db

To actually double your volume you need 10X the power.

Lastly, speaker size tells you nothing about the performance or tone. Cab design (size, tuning) is what determines how the speaker sounds.

The difference between 4X12's @ 8 ohms, and 4X12's@ 4 ohms is almost undetectable.
  14. Crazyeelboy

True that the increase in the output would not yield a massive audible difference, but the OP's main issue was the desire to get an extension cab to run at 4 ohms, so I was pointing out that getting the 412 cabinet would still run at 8 ohms and if running a 1001 through an 8 ohm 412 at near max is going to be loud as hell anyway.
  15. Crazyeelboy

Actually, to the OP - Basspounder makes an excellent point regarding how much more output you are likely to achieve with running at 4 ohms rather than 8 ohms. Although the impedance is cut in half, that does not translate into making it doubly loud.

My point, though, is that an 1001 with a 410 cabinet or 412 cabinet at 8 ohms will be plenty loud for almost any purpose and you may end up spending some money and not be happy with the results.
  16. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I've had the G-K NEO412 for several years now. First ran it with an 800RB or V4-B, now a Fusion 550. You'll have to fight about a dozen other bassists here in town to pry it from my dead cold hands when the time comes.

The NEO 412 only comes as a 4 ohm cab, I could not see using two of them. I actually bought a NEO 212II for the coffee house gigs so I could still use the Fusion 550 without having to use a feather to turn the volume controls!
  17. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

The Fusion 550 is 500w into 4 ohms, which is 44.7 volts from the amp.
    It would be interesting to find out how the NEO 412 is wired.

If the NEO is four 4-ohm drives in series/parallel this means only 22.35v is available to each driver.
    GK makes their own drivers, so they could easily use four 16-ohm drivers all in parallel for a 4-ohm load.
    This would be the best of all worlds, because the full 44.7v is applied to each driver.
  18. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

They are indeed 16 ohm drivers. G-K makes their NEO 12" in 8 ohm or 16 ohm windings and doesn't believe in series wiring speaker cabs ;).
  19. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

Had this set up for a while a few years back, and it killed. Super loud, and nice on the back. Go for it!
  20. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

There's a few reasons to go with a pair of 212's over the 412. One cab blows you still can play. Small gig, just haul one cab. Hollow boomy stage, unplug the low cab and use it like a stand for the top cab. Nice and light (one cab) if you have to go up and down stairs.

The 412 is just plain cool though and has the handle and wheels for rolling. LOVE that. Looks great onstage and delivers the thunder.
    Can't go wrong with either sound-wise, it's a matter of preference with the other stuff. Great rig either way.

:bassist: