GK 1001RB II 212 NEO combo blown speaker - Replace or return?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DJJazzV, Jan 31, 2014.

1. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Let me have a Diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, ... Supporting Member

Nevermind! I found and fixed the problem. The tolex folded in the tweeter hole was buzzing. I simply opened the tolex up a little more, and the buzzing stopped. What an adventure that was. The low frequency buzzing was the key to finding the root cause and the solution. Not a speaker issue at all.

[​IMG]
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

They are hard to find these days. The store may get a better price on the speaker (dealer pricing vs retail). I would be inclined to try the repair telling them ORIGINAL speaker replacement only. That tilt back 1001RB II combo cab is sweet.
  3. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

Just as an aside: is that 1001 too much for a 2x10?
    I have to ask if that is why the 10 is toast... previous owner hitting the rails with a BMF like the 1001.
  4. B-string

It a 212. The two 12" NEO barely handle the 8 ohm wattage. The combo wasn't made very long.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

I replaced my 1 x12 Neo cab w/ a cast frame 4ohm Black Widow. Sounds killer paired w/ my 1001RB. It can push some serious air, headroom forever. They come in 8ohms as well, which would work perfect for you.
  7. DJJazzV

Side question: The "Gallien Krueger" logo is red. Does that have any significance? I can't find another picture of a 1001RB Mark II with the logo red like that. It wasn't painted afterwards. It appears factory perfect. Just curious. (I added the photo to the first post)
  8. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Nice find. These are really cool cabs. I'd get it fixed one way or another, either through the pro coverage or on my own direct with GK.
  9. DJJazzV

Thank you very much, and I agree. I will most likely get it fixed either way. Certainly worth it.
  10. B-string

The red logo is interesting. jason@gallien.com may be able to shed some light on the back story. Side note, if the speaker does not make bad sounds at low volume have the solder joints checked/reflowed on the flex leads to terminals on the basket. I have seen failing joints do this at higher power (volume) levels since lead solder was eliminated.
  11. DJJazzV

Thank you for the GK contact. That may turn out to be interesting about the red logo. No brush strokes at all. It's like a perfect factory application, even on the insides of the letters.
    It's fine at low volume. Medium to high is when the paper buzz starts. I checked the speaker, but there are no solder joints for the leads. They are pinched instead.
  12. B-string

Interesting. Maybe use a 9 volt battery to extend the cone and wiggle those leads at the basket terminals, if there is a bad connection in the crimp it will show up. Just be careful not to wiggle at the cone very hard at all, that will kill the speaker if you tear the cone or break the connection there. Sorry if I get carried away with the diag/problem solving. ;)
  13. Ken R

Ken R

Yes. The 1001 will blow out the stock 10" speakers without breaking a sweat. Mine did. 12" neo speakers might stand a better chance, but I think the 1001 is too much without an extention cabinet.

Ken R

14. DJJazzV

Anyway... I have narrowed down the buzz It mostly just buzzes at medium volume when playing the higher notes, 7th-12th frets, on the low E string. Different basses used for testing, and I even connected a micro MB200 head. Same results. If I want buzz from the same notes on the A string, the amp has to be turned up even louder.
  15. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Pleasantly plucky Supporting Member

Media:
    Man...sorry to hear about that. Some "Pro Coverage" eh? Geek Squad had the same issue, we would put things in the notes about an issue people had saying "WE HAVE WITNESSED AND REPRODUCED THE ISSUE MULTIPLE TIMES" and would get them sent back with "No Fault Found" constantly. Ticks me off when people just don't give a rat's :scowl:
  16. B-string

Makes me think maybe a glue joint on the center cap?
  17. DJJazzV

Thank you very much! You helped me solve the problem! You made me take it apart again to test the center caps. No issues at all. I found it odd why only certain louder frequencies were causing the buzz, so I started pressing everywhere trying to make the buzz stop. I found it! I pressed downward, not in, on the tweeter. That made the buzz stop. I found that very odd, so I pulled the tweeter out.

The tolex folded in the tweeter hole was buzzing. It was a snug fit around the plastic tweeter. I simply opened the tolex up a little more, put the tweeter back, and the buzzing stopped. What an adventure that was. The low frequency buzzing was the key to finding the root cause and the solution. Not a speaker issue at all.

Amp is back to awesome again.
  18. B-string

Excellent! :hyper: