GK 1001RB-II head or SansAmp DI for small gigs

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by TheGrateOz, Nov 7, 2012.

1. TheGrateOz

TheGrateOz

Hi,

Looking for opinions on my rig for small gigs. I have a GK 1001RB-II head with a 4x10 cab and a SansAmp Programmable DI on my pedal board. I'm curious, if I have a small gig, can I run the GK DI out directly to the PA without a cabinet connected or would I be better served by skipping the GK entirely and just using the SansAmp DI off the pedal board...I love GK tone, but some gigs just don't have space for a 4x10...

Thanks!

2. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

The GK can run "no load" just fine, meaning it'll still give you a DI signal with no cab connected and not have any issues.

3. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

yeah, so use whichever one you like the DI sound from more.

4. TheGrateOz

TheGrateOz

Awesome - thanks guys

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    If the PA is good enough and the venue is small, I'll carry a SA ParaDriver and go direct. I'd rather have at least a 1x10 along for the ride though. As I like the GK tone, I use an MB200 for those dates for the most part. My little custom combo with the 200 is about a foot cubed. Perfect for coffee house, wine bar, lounge gigs or rehearsals in my environment.

7. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    If space is an absolute dealbreaker, you can run straight to the PA with either the GK or any DI box (of which SansAmp is one of many). I've done it before, but really like to be able to have my amp on stage for monitoring purposes whenever it's possible.