1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

GK 1001RB-II ... i need help understanding the controls

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by djaxup, Feb 13, 2013.

1. djaxup

djaxup

.. pretty please.

I have read the manual and i *think* i know what each knob does. But still, they behave not like i would expect them to.

I just want a nice clean sound with lots of headroom, the amp should be able to deliver that. The amp seems to get farty and middy in some settings and i have no idea why. Just turning the volume knob a few ticks too far or too few and the sound does weird stuff. Somewhere around noon it sounds big. In fact so big that i fear for my health and the integrity of the bungalow. When i turn down boost and woofer, the sound loses its class again, not just the volume.

My bass puts out a rather hot signal, so i usually have to push that active input switch.

please halp!

2. GigJones

GigJones

What speaker cabinet(s) are you using?

I use either a GK Neo-II 2x12 or an Epifani UL2-410.
    They sound completely different and each requires different EQ settings when I use my 1001RB-II.

3. djaxup

djaxup

Glockenklang Quattro 4 Ohm. (4x10, rather clean sounding)

4. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

The woofer is the master volume.
    Boost is a gain stage after the preamp section.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. djaxup

djaxup

But still the knobs do not behave like they should imo. If i turn the volume knob above 12 o'clock the sound literally goes nuts, loses depth and becomes quite farty and just not very good. Below 9 it has zero character. I just don't understand how the three volume knobs interact. On paper i do, but in practice i am baffled by the radically different sounds this amp produces just by tinkering with its volume controls.

The EQ is super easy, as are the voicing filters. But at least the volume knob is far from being a linear knob. I have yet to see a good explanation why it behaves like it does.

7. SteveHeissner

SteveHeissner

Congratulations on your GK 1001 RB II. I think it's one of the best amps I've ever owned. Maybe better than my SVT 7-PRO. I keep the EQ Flat on my GK, turn the contour back all the way, and use the pad/active button because my basses although passive have a lot of output. When I don't pad the input the output on my bass is excessive and it causes the sound to distort at times. This works through both GK 212's and an Avatar 410. Both sound smooth and phat.

8. dougjwray

dougjwray

If you're looking for a clean sound, I would recommend this: Start with the volume at zero. Turn the woofer (the master) all the way up and the boost all the way down. Then very carefully turn the volume knob up to where you want it.
    I say "very carefully" because at around 10 o'clock, you'll be cracking the plaster in your walls.
    But, it'll sound clean!

9. IPYF

IPYF

^ This. It took me 2 years to figure out how to operate my 1001. Remove the 5 string contour unless you're tuning below D.. If you set it to OFF the amp will behave like a 800rb. Roll it in you're adding heavy bass frequencies. Roll that presence up to 1pm EQ 100% flat is best. Master at maximum, gain to OFF then gain in to suit your instrument.

10. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    Dont be afraid to roll back frequencies. You dont need to run them all past 12 o'clock. I usually run my bass and my treble around 11'Clock, Slightly boost the low mids to 2o'clock and set the high mids to 12.

Keep your boost down, start with your volume around 12 o'clock and slowly bring up the master (woofer)

11. dougjwray

dougjwray

Sorry, but I don't believe that will give you the cleanest sound. The master needs to be all the way up, with the volume somewhere below 12 to 1 o'clock. I do agree with your observation about rolling back frequencies.

12. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I dont actually have a 1001RB but I was guessing that cranking that volume past 12 is going to be ridiculously loud no matter were the master is set. I know it is on my 800RB

13. IPYF

IPYF

The RBII line actually work better in reverse to most amps. They're one of the few that are better used with the master set to maximum. You then use the gain to control volume.

I didn't buy it at first but I found out the hard way. Sometimes you have to.

14. djaxup

djaxup

That is great input guys, thanks! I will try that out tomorrow and report back.

15. Dave W

Can you tell us where all your controls are currently set?

16. djaxup

djaxup

ATM: (all numbers are o'clock)

Active Input Switch engaged

Volume 11
    Contour 11
    Presence 13

Treble 1:30
    High Mids 11
    Low mids 11
    Bass 2

Booster 10:30
    Woofer 12:30

17. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

If you want clean, Master is set high, Boost at 9:00 and use the input control and your instrument to vary the level. Don't put the tone controls much higher than 12:00, on average. The tone control frequencies are listed on the GK site, in the Manuals. IIRC, the Bass control is centered on 60Hz, Low Mid is 250Hz, High Mid is 1KHz and Treble is either 2,5KHz or 4KHz.

You didn't mention any effects in the signal path or the speaker(s)- what else is in the rig?

18. djaxup

djaxup

I usually only have the compressor engaged, and even that not all the time.

ok complete chain:

Wal Mk1 --> tuner --> markbass compressore --> Source Audio MWBD and Envelope Filter --> GK 1001 RB-II --effectsLoop--> Boss BF-3 Flanger --> Source Audio Dimension Reverb --> Glockenklang Quattro 4 Ohm Cab (4x10).

19. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Thats a killer set up.

20. Dave W

Indeed. :bassist:

21. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    The "Volume" and "Boost" knobs are very interactive.
    The higher you set the "Volume" knob, the more effective the "Boost" knob becomes with regards to both level and amount of distortion.