gk 1001rb questions

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gabrams, Jan 14, 2013.

1. gabrams

gabrams

hi guys im buying a gk 1001rb on friday . i currently have a kustom deep end 410 400 watt and 115 250 watt will i be able to play these cabs with this head, also can i run them seperatley, with the head for smaller gigs
  2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Yes, so long as both cabs are 8 ohms each. Use a spkr cable.
  3. gabrams

gabrams

will it blow the 250 watt 115 by its self
  4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

It sure can! Listen to the speaker - farting, distortion, speaker flapping - decrease the volume and/or low end content down right away. Do NOT PUSH THE 5 string switch. That will probably save you some headaches with this setup.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. IPYF

IPYF

I would suggest you never plug that 115 in on its own. The GK can and will blow its pants clean off with no warning leaving you with a large square paperweight and a frown.

If you're going to run both cabs together you need to put the 115 on the top of the stack near your ears. That's not optional. You'll need to be paying attention to what that speaker is doing; listen intently for pain. If you think to yourself that all the cool kids put the 15 on the bottom for more bass then all the cool kids are wrong. They won't hear their 15 cry when it's dying and end up feeling not so cool anymore.

Do not underestimate your GK. You have cabs which are vastly outrated by your head. Play it safe and don't get excited by the overwhelming power or you'll find yourself with no cabs. If I were you I'd look to shift them on and get one enclosure with a high rating and higher sensitivity at 8 ohm. It's an all round better choice.
  7. gabrams

gabrams

thanks guys think im going to pick up tc electronics bh500
  8. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

So you decided on a lesser amp head?? Really, after announcing you were getting the G-K? :eyebrow: :rollno:
    Play and be happy.
  9. IPYF

IPYF

Really strange direction to turn, especially if you're into the GK tone.

Honestly if I had your cabs I'd be more looking towards a 700RB as opposed to the 1001, but that TC is a different sound entirely. I hope you dig it.
  10. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Negatory to the guy who said "never plug that 115 in on it's own". Your X watt amp doesn't put all X of those watts to the speaker unless everything is cranked up to make the amp put out it's rated power at it's rated % distortion.

Still, the same logic applies though. Listen to the speakers to see if you're pushing them too hard. (Hard to hear that if you already use distortion as part of your tone), and your 410 almost assuredly can handle more juice than your 115, so watch that when playing loud. Many will tell you a 115 and a 410 isn't an ideal combination when it comes to ultimate power handling and volume and I would agree with them. By the same token, I used to run a speaker setup like that back when and the sky didn't fall...didn't blow the 15 either. Just use some common sense.
  11. IPYF

IPYF

You're absolutely right in theory, but I would still never do it personally, and I could never suggest that someone else to do it in good conscience.

It's achievable I agree, but would it be appropriate? I don't think so.

The 1001 shines with a flat eq and woofer on maximum. In order to exercise common sense in this instance you would probably need to scoop low mid and bass to throw less watts, and probably never push the gain stage higher than about 7 o clock.

You could additionally forget all about using the boost or 5 string contour, both of which stress even higher end speakers.

You would essentially be putting the cab under undue stress automatically, effectively negating many of the excellent features that the amp provides.

It would just be hamstringing both pieces of gear. It's like putting a V8 in a mini. Sure, you could drive slowly and super conservatively, but then there's no point having the V8 and eventually bits of the mini not built for punishment would start to break down.
  12. MIMike

MIMike

The 1x15 will of course work by itself...if you need enough volume to blow up the single cabinet,you should be using both of the cabinets anyway. My 1001RB has powered many cabinets with many driver combinations and never had any trouble. Just don't go lower than a 4 Ohm total load.

Over-powering is hardly ever a problem (I call it headroom). Over-"voluming", however, is a common reason for speaker issues.
  13. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I don't know where you're getting some of that from. Specifically the "scoop low mid and bass to throw less watts" part.

I run a single 15 off of every GK head I have and they work just fine, while pushing the boost to about 1:00.

The same could be said for using any high powered with virtually any cab, considering most of them don't take 2000w.
  14. willsellout

willsellout

I could see that cutting the some of the lows would use less power, hence strain the speakers less....but honestly, set everything flat and adjust from there and listen to your speakers.
  15. tdub0199

tdub0199

Huh?:eyebrow:
  16. B-string

The G-K was too much power and tone for him? :p :D
  17. willsellout

willsellout

Not everyone can handle such a manly amp.
  18. 4001

Could have got a 700RB II. Would have been just fine.
  19. B-string

Difference between tools and toys? :)

Still no toy? ;) :ninja:
  20. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Media:
    I was in a similar dilemma and ended up with the 700RB II. Awesome amp, I tried a TC head right before the GK and thought it kinda sounded like a plastic piece of ****.