1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

GK 1001rb vs. Kustom Groove Bass 1200?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by extra_horsemagi, Feb 7, 2014.

1. extra_horsemagi

extra_horsemagi

GK 1001rb vs. Kustom Groove Bass 1200?

Hello, Talkbass!
    I've been combing through this site religiously for the past few weeks and finally decided to join the community. Everyone seems really knowledgable and helpful.

Anyway, I recently sold my old combo amp hoping to get a real rig and get more serious with gigging and bass playing in general. I've been looking through demo videos and craigslist a bunch and I thought I was gonna get a GK 1001rb. I've really liked them every time I've played them, the tone is awesome and many people swear by them.

However, I recently came across a Kustom Groove 1200 head for cheap. It looks cool, but I can't find hardly anyone talking about them and I've found no demo videos (I did see some threads here about them, but still no demo videos). It's got more wattage and I read that the Groove line has been discontinued, so I might not get this opportunity again. But I'd like to know a little more about it.
    What do you guys know about this, and how does this compare to a GK 1001rb head? I have the opportunity to get either one.

Another question - the dude selling the GK head is also selling a GK 4x10 Neo cab with it that I could potentially get by itself. Would that cab do the Kustom head justice?

Let me know what you guys think. I'm fairly new to this so anything helps.

2. El Raro

El Raro

The cab should work fine with either head so long as the wattage load on the cab can handle the wattage output of the amp at the corresponding impedance.

As far as the heads go, I can't speak for the Kustom amp but the GK is easily one of the fullest sounding solid state heads on the market with headroom to spare. Its clean, its loud and it sounds tonally amazing no matter what setup you use (2x12, 4x10, 8x10 cabs etc). Couple it with a preamp and you've got a rig that will take down anything in your way.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

the kustom was a bare bones, budget amp back when it was released. It was built with cheap in mind... the gk is a current, industrially strong amp that has appeared on arena stages... has a great feature set and really... this isn't even a question.

note: there are 1001 RB and 1001 RB II models. The II is what you want...

4. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    The Kustom isn't even close to the same league as the GK! The only problem I ever had with the 1001 is its too much, that's why I use the 700 now n still never work it hard.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

GK is great stuff but don't knock Kustom. My band uses a little Kustom powered PA and it rocks. Bang-for-buck Kustom is very good. Try it.

7. fabubass

fabubass

The GK is a pro amp, as one of the posters said, has appeared on arena stages. The GK will last a life time

8. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps
    I own a 1001 RB II but I have played through a Kustom 1200 (with an Avatar 4X10) and it sounded VERY good. The only thing I will say is about the two is "the GK 101 RB II is still in production……" (with a little nudge on the arm…) :ninja:

I've had my GK stuff for over 8 years of schlep work (set up and teardown and move on..) and t is still working great…. that's some kind of testament.

9. funkateer86

funkateer86

I had a Groove Bass 1200 once upon a time. It was affordable and offered up gobs of power, but the preamp was a bit lacking so I had it paired with an SVP-Pro. If it were me, I'd go with the GK. It'll be much more versatile, tonally-speaking.

10. MIMike

MIMike

If you can pick up a 1001RB and a 410Neo for a good price, it may be all you'll ever need for a stage rig.

11. Bodhi

Bodhi Supporting Member

+1

12. extra_horsemagi

extra_horsemagi

Why is this?

Also, thanks for the replies everyone.