GK 1001RBII - cab matching question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Art Araya, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

I've been playing bass for decades but when it comes to discussions about Ohms, I just go all mush-brained. I really need to learn about this.

Anyway, here's my question... I own two GK heads - a 700RBII and a 1001RBII. I play them thru a 2x10 Eden cab (4 ohms). This sounds good and is powerful enough for my main situation - playing at church. I want to be able to add more speakers when I need to push more air at larger venues. I have another 2x10 cab that is also 4 ohms.

Can I plug both cabs into the GK heads to increase my volume? Can the GK heads handle two 4 ohm cabs?

I don't want to damage my heads or the cabs by trying something that I shouldn't.

I also have a 6x10 cab which works great but it's easier to add another 2x10, if I can rather than hauling the Goliath around.

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

NO neither head will handle two 4 ohm cabs. BUT....connect an instrument cable from one amps effects send to the second amp's effects return and you can run both heads each with a 4 ohm cab. The amp with the effects send will be your preamp for the second head's poweramp.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Yesw, you can run both 4 ohm cabs, IF they each have their own amp. But you cannot run both 4 ohm cabs from either amp alone. You should read the stickies if you want to learn this stuff.

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Spot on, as usual...

- georgestrings

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Art Araya

Thanks! Which would you use for the pre and which for the power? I"m thinking I want the 1001 as the power portion of this?

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

It doesn't matter - both amp's preamps are the same, and each amp's power section would be pushing a separate cab...

Basically, you plug your instrument into one amp, and run a patch cord out of that amp's effects send into the other's effects return... With a master/slave amp arrangement like this, the amp your instrument is plugged into controls the EQ needs of both amps - and each amp powers a separate cab...

- georgestrings

8. Art Araya

Thanks

9. Jack

Jack

Just so we're definitely clear, BOTH amps are the power portion. One cab attached to each amp.

10. Art Araya

Thanks for reinforcing that point Jack. I got it now. Thanks for your help guys.

11. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Now go forth and make music :D