GK 1001RBii or Traynor YBA200

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BryanM, Mar 19, 2014.

1. BryanM

BryanM Supporting Member

So I've got a Carvin BX600 that's pretty much "my sound" on the surface, but for years I've had grounding issues and sound issues with the DI. The new Carvins have the class D amplifier that just doesn't give me the oomph of the older ones, so I'm looking at a replacement amp, and will probably put the Carvin in the practice room.

I've played through a couple of SVTs and the newer Fender Bassman amps and, while they sound great, don't sound $800-1500 greater than the alternative. I like the tube sound but so far I've gotten by just fine with raw SS wattage.

The two amps listed in the title are the amps I'm considering, but I'm open to suggestions of others in the sub $1000 price range. I'll probably be putting them through my Carvin 210 and am looking at 410 cabs as well (Carvin, Avatar, etc.) I play in a band whose sound is a blend of classic rock, soul, alt country and folk punk, so some aggressive tones are nice but I'd like to be able to get a nice pocket tone going to.

Thanks in advance for any input.
  2. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I cant say anything about the Traynor other than the praise I hear about them here on TB. Not sure if that is the same one Im thinking of though. But, I do know about, own and use the 1001RB II on a regular basis and I LOVE that amp. It is a great and powerful workhorse. Tons of headroom and you can get a pretty classic sound, IMO anyway, all the way to a more modern and aggressive sound. The ladder being what Im more into. For your description of what you say you will need it for, I think its perfect. The 1001 is a really good amp and has plenty of tonal and voicing options. If I were to be picking between these two, I would go GK. I still remember the day I played the 1001 in the store I bought it from. I tried about 5 other amps that day and seriously considered three of those. I actually passed by the 1001 by chance and figured, what the hey, Ill try it out. I played it for about 15 seconds before I realized that it was THE amp for me. I quickly forgot all about those other amps, Hartke, SWR, Fender, and grabbed the GK and I was out the door.
  3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

You're comparing a relatively higher-powered solid-state/FET head against a relatively lower-powered tube head. Wouldn't it be useful for you to share your reasoning process for having selected those particular two - as opposed to the literally dozens of alternate choices you might have made for comparison? :eyebrow:

There are just so many possible amp heads that are in the price category you mentioned, that would also correspond to the minimal tonal/performance criteria that you've implied. Unless you can narrow down your choices by further qualifying your selection criteria, then it's going to boil down to either trying out out one amp after another until you come across the one that makes you cry "Eureka!". Or just pick one semi-randomly, and hope you get lucky.

MM
  4. BryanM

BryanM Supporting Member

I mention the 1001RB because the headroom would be more beneficial to me than the early breakup of a 700RBii. I've tried a couple of solid state Ampegs and they're not necessarily my cup of tea. I like having a wide array of options available to me, which the Carvin provides (2 band semi-parametric EQ, footswitchable graphic EQ, preamp "drive", on board compressor).

While the Traynor doesn't have as much control as that, it does offer a fairly wide control range for a tube amp, and most venues where I would need over 200 watts of tube volume, we will have PA support as well, but I've only heard them played, not had a chance to play them myself.

To get an idea of the tones, my band's music is at http://buffalomakemusic.bandcamp.com/.

I'm mainly looking for opinions on amps in that price range to see what to next check out.
  5. Connormac123456

Connormac123456

The traynor is really good for a kind of vintage tubey warm tone. The tone is very well suited for a more mellow, deep tone; think classic rock. You'll be able to get a good amount of grind out of it at lower volumes than say if you were to compare it to a 300 watt SVT or the YBA300, and the tones can get fairly similar, but in my experience the Traynor is more specific in that it's voiced to sound very tubby and not very aggressive.
    I personally didn't care for the Traynor, sounded a little bit too scooped to my taste no matter how I dialed in the EQ. However that could be the sound you're looking for.
    In my experience with the 1001 RBii, I've found it to have a fairly versatile EQ that would suit most situations. I found it fairly easy to dial in a wide range of tones from old-school deep (not quite tubby vintagey tube-amp sound but more modern trying to sound vintage fat), to modern high-fi tones. The GK is now my main amp that I gig with and I'm loving it.
    YOu can't go wrong with either, but that's my opinion regarding both and I favour the GK because it suits my needs. If my ramblings help you out, great. If they don't, fine. I'd just recommend trying either out in a store and pick the one that blows your mind. Use your own ears in the end, because it's your decision.

Happy amp hunting!