GK 112-II NEO

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lowendblues, Jan 15, 2010.

1. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Delivered yesterday. Very nice compact cab. Came with GK's speakon cable to utilize the bi-amp section of my 700RB II. (unexpected), :) looks to be top notch construction @ 30 lbs.

I wont be able to play a note through it until Saturday. I will be back with a review Saturday afternoon.
  2. RHCP250

RHCP250 Supporting Member

Looking forward to your review!
  3. nitsuj

nitsuj

I too am looking forward to your thoughts on this set-up. I thinking of doing the same with thoughts of stacking another 112 for bigger gigs.
  4. lowendblues

Great cabinet, I'm very happy with the sound.

It came set up in "bi-amp" mode, this lets you use GK's special speakon cable and allows you to control the horn and woofer seperately. Running this way using my 700RBII, I really wasnt thrilled with the tone, it sounded a little "tight" and a bit "boxy" sounding, but then again, I've never been much of a bi-amp person, I prefer full range set ups.

Switching the cab to "full range" mode, using my own speaker cable, and turning the horn down a bit really brought my sound into focus and made all the difference in the world to me. I'm getting a nice full low-end with just the right amount of punch and top end. As far as usable volume, its actually quite surprising as well, I'd be great for small clubs and church gigs, but anything bigger than that I'd go out and pick up a second cab.

I bought mine to use here at home, and for that its perfect. I had an Aguilar GS 112 last year, and I think the GK is a better sounding cabinet. For the price its tough to beat.

Basses used in testing:

Rickenbacker 4004 Laredo
    Rickenbacker 4003
    Fender Jazz bass
    Fender P bass
    Carvin ICON
    Carvin B4

They all sounded great, with the active ICON really shining on the slap / pop stuff.

I hope this is helpful, I'll post some pics a bit later.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pasta4lnch

pasta4lnch

Wow! I was actually going to get one of these and opted for the GS112 instead (saw a used one on MF and couldn't beat the $$) ... I am WAY thrilled w/ the way the Aggie sounds - if this is "better" it must be amazing. I'd like to try one now . . . just to see for my self.
  7. phillm47

phillm47

How was this cab better than the Aggie?

I was considering pairing one of these with a micro head for band practice's. Has anyone used this cab with a five banger?
  8. lowendblues

When you get into good equipment its pretty much apples and oranges, dont get me wrong, the Aguilar GS 112 is a fine cabinet.

But for my tastes, I think the GK has more of a low-mid growl (which really shines with my Rickenbackers), whearas the GS 112 had a rounder bottom end thats all. I'm also a 75% pick player as well.

If I played 5-string fingerstyle, I might actually prefer the Aggie. Its all in where your taste's lie.
  9. nitsuj

nitsuj

Good to hear your happy with it.
  10. lowendblues

Here's a couple pics,

the first one to give some sense of scale:

[​IMG]

In case anyone is wondering what the hook up on the back looks like:

[​IMG]

Sorry for the poor pic quality.
  11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Glad you like it. I have two of the first generation cabs, also powered by a 700RB-II. I normally use bi-amp mode, and engage the woofer and tweeter hi-cut switches. You might like bi-amp more that way. But these cabs do sound great in full range mode, and IMO you're right that one is enough for small clubs. I've done it many times, often without PA support.
  12. phillm47

phillm47

thanks

13. ahbassman

ahbassman

Im interested in possibly getting one of these, but I have one concern.

I also want to get the GK MB2-500 amp, which is 350 watts @ 8 ohms and 500 @ 4 ohms. If I got that amp, would it cause problems if i ran it through one of these cabs with the RMS rating of 300 watts? Obviously two of them would be just fine, but im concerned about just one.
  14. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Your hands control the master volume and your bass, keep it sensable and you'll be fine. :bassist:
  15. rag

rag

Disclosures:
    Robert A. Gallien, President Gallien-Krueger
    You can use the supplied cable for full range, just put the switch in full range mode.
    Bob
  16. lowendblues

I did not know that. I assumed the supplied cord was strictly for the bi-amp feature.

Thanks for the tip.
  17. ljazz

ljazz Supporting Member

I use just one of the GK112's all of the time..... In fact, I'm finding that I use it even on med sized dates, so long as the stage is not too big. I'll try to let the PA handle whatever I can get away with...... The band sounds and plays so much better when the stage volume doesn't stray too far away from our normal rehearsal volumes.

And a big plus one on Ned's recommendation on the cut switchs. No disrespect intended to the OP, but did you press in the woofer hi cut switch for biamp operation? I too find that if I have the cab set for biamp, and the hi cut switch off, then things get real boxy...... that means you're not running the horn at all. I also find running the tweeter hi cut reduces a lot of hiss. It's wonderful being able to adjust the horn from the front of the head instead of digging around back to adjust the attenuator on the cab.

Ljazz
  18. lowendblues

Interesting, I'll have some time this afternoon, I'll try the bi-amp again and experiment with the cut switches.
  19. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

I owned two of the Neo112-II cabs and an A06 MB2-500. This amp works great with one cab, and is even better with two.

I have a hard time imagining that any other bass cabinet does a better job at quality and tone v. price point. These cabs are a steal.

I really like that these cabs are covered in tolex - a welcome change, even though I have nothing against "rat fur."
  20. phillm47

phillm47

One the GK site it says that these cabs are 30lbs, but in the PDF it says these are 39lbs?

Can owners chime in on which of these specs are correct?
  21. ljazz

ljazz Supporting Member

I think the weight in the pdf might be for the series 1??????

Mine (series 1) weighs in at 36 lbs.