1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

GK 200MB - Replace Input Jack

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by SteveFreides, Mar 24, 2014.

1. SteveFreides

SteveFreides

I have a GK 200MB that has served me well but now the input jack seems to have died - it started working only intermittently for a bit and now it's dead.

I'm assuming this is a DIY repair but please correct me if I'm wrong - disassemble, unsolder the offending part, install a new one, test, reassemble, test again, and done.

And, of course, I'm assuming my diagnosis is correct - if it's not, I'm guessing it's probably not worth repairing. Everything seems to light up and otherwise be in working order.

I haven't had a soldering iron in my hand in a few decades but am willing to give it a shot - recommendation for an inexpensive model appreciated, especially what size/wattage iron to get.

Many thanks in advance.

-S-

2. goodgig

goodgig

I had the same problem with my 200MB. I unscrewed the cover and discovered that the jack is hard-wired to the circuit board. Like you, I was rusty on my soldering skills and didn't want to fry the circuit board. I brought it to a repair shop. The repairman was unable to find the original part, so he put in a different jack and it works like a charm. Charged me $125, which is steep IMO and more than he originally quoted, but I gladly paid it, since I'm so happy with the amp's performance with DB. My vote is get it repaired!

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC Supporting Member

If the culprit is, indeed, the jack, then it should be a reasonably easy DIY repair. The jack may may be soldered directly to a circuit board rather than being wired point-to-point. If it is, then a de-soldering tool will save you time, aggravation, and potential damage.

Something like this basic kit from Radio Shack should suffice along with a de-soldering bulb like this. The vacuum plunger types of de-soldering tools like this work much better.

There are many vendors for these types of products. I usually don't get such supplies from Radio Shack but they had handy pictures/specs available to show you. :)

Edit-- goodgig posted as I was replying. It seems the jack is soldered to the board. $125 to replace it? That is pretty steep. Geez, seems I'm in the wrong business. I didn't know my repair skills were that valuable. Still, goodgig, if you didn't want to attempt it, then you were wise to pay the money and be on your way. :)

4. SteveFreides

SteveFreides

I paid $200 used for mine. If it'’s really $125 at a repair place, I'll try DIY and if that doesn't work, I'll just get another one.

-S-

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Steve,
    In the scheme of things, you don't see that many 200MB's for sale. In the last 5 years, there was only one of them, for sale on TB. It seems that either players held on to them, or the were used for parts. They're great amps, so I'd definitely try and repair it.

Ric

7. SteveFreides

SteveFreides

Thanks for the advice, Ric - much appreciated. Mine is in my teaching studio and I got it because it could be my single solution to having an amp for both guitar and bass students. It's been a real champ at it's assigned task. I don't think I've ever used it out of the house for my upright but it's always been nice knowing I had a quality piece of gear sitting there if I ever needed it. I think it makes a fine guitar amp in a jazz/arch top setting, too.

While we're on the subject, does anyone have a recommendation for a Northern NJ repair place, should I end up going that route?

-S-

8. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

I asked my local Guitar Center for the name of their amp-repair person. (Worked out fine for my old Kustom 100 bass amp.) That or a local electronics-repair facility.

9. drurb

It really shouldn't be that much. PM me if you want help locating parts, etc.

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Something that can happen with jacks is that the jack itself is OK but one or more of the solder joints to the printed circuit board have cracked. If this is what's happened, then it can be fixed by re-soldering the joints, possibly without having to do major disassembly. You can see cracked joints with a magnifying glass and strong flashlight, otherwise just try re-soldering and see if it helps.

11. SteveFreides

SteveFreides

Thanks, everyone. Life is a little crazy here at the moment and I have enough amps that I may not get to this right away, but I appreciate all the offers of assistance and all the good advice.

I found this place with a Google - http://www.tsirepair.com - and sent them an email asking if they do this sort of repair and what it might cost. One of their two locations is very close to me.

-S-

12. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Do you have an external pre? If so you could just use the "effects return" jack instead of the main input. I think it bypasses all of the EQ and stuff, but you may not need it anyway.

13. Rob22315

Rob22315

I opened up my mb500 a couple of weeks ago. It looked like the jacks were all commodity parts. See if you can get the brand name off the part or call GK. Then go to one of the big parts suppliers like digikey or mouser and see what they have. It will probably run you $10 including shipping for a new one if they have it.

14. Ric Vice

When I owned the 200MB's I found that the EQ section of that amp was so good for Double Bass, you wouldn't want to bypass it. Just my opinion of course.

Ric

15. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    True dat, but if you aren't handy with a soldering iron, would you pay $125 to keep your EQ? If you have an FDeck I bet you wouldn't miss the onboard EQ. If you don't, then throwing $50 at one would be a better investment than repairing the jack, right?

16. drurb

The Fdeck neither replaces nor was meant to replace a good tone-shaping (EQ) circuit.

17. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    OK. But how good was that GK EQ actually? Is it worth $125 in current dollars? I remember always leaving it pretty much flat. In fact, I don't recall it having been all that special.

I feel a religious conflict starting here. Ho Yey! Ho Yey! We have a GK Naysayer in our midst! Whath sayeth thee the Congregation? A GK denier must be bound and flayed and his flesh spread to the four corners of the sound stage. The Lord doth decree! Nie shall man evil of GK speak!

18. drurb

No religious conflict. I never owned a GK and have no allegiance to them. I was merely pointing out that the Fdeck does not replace a tone-control circuit. That's all, nothing more.

19. Ric Vice

Initially, the amp cost around $650.00 discounted. To have the benefits of that EQ section is well worth the $125.00 IMHO. As Durb said above the FDeck isn't designed to replace the EQ section of a bass amp. These particular amps are very difficult to obtain. Most likely because players aren't willing to give them up. Just my take, I'm very partial to this amp for Double Bass.

Ric

20. Rob22315

Rob22315

The input jack on my mb500 looks like a neutrik NYS 2152. Mouser.com has them for $0.82 plus shipping. See if that matches the one in your mb200

UPDATE Never mind, the 200mb is completely different. Still, if you post a pic, I can see if here's something similar.

21. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

It's the only amp I've used with my upright. But I often put it on top of one of my B-15 convertible cabinets, with the burnt out tube amp removed of course, as an extension speaker. I had the 12" speaker replaced once and I now have to get the noisy volume control pot replaced, but I'd never get rid of it. My only complaint with it is that the primary coil has an annoying hum even with the amp switched off!