GK 212, better than.............??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gregmon79, Dec 22, 2012.

1. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    So, here I am again folks. I was wondering since just about everyone is saying, with plenty good reason, that since I bought a GK 1001 RB that I should get a better cab combination. Right now I will mainly be pushing a Fender 410 Bassman that is more than a few years old, and is now giving me L pad troubles. Though I think easily fixable with a solder job, I'm still a bit leery about continuing pushing this cab with the GK head. I also have a Hartke 115 Hydrive that I don't really combine with all this unless I'm playing a gig out. With all that said, I was wondering, what are your opinions on pushing a GK 212 Neo cab on its own, with the GK head? Is it going to be enough for regular jamming and playing out on gigs? Or am I going to have problems being heard with running just this one cab alone by itself. As always, my budget is limited but I will probably be trading some things back in as well to trade for the GK cab if I decide to go that route.

2. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

If you get a GK 212 Neo to go with that 1001RB (II?), you will be able to destroy the back walls in any good-sized club. You won't have a ton of headroom if you really, really crank it and attack hard, but otherwise, go for it. I use the 700RB-II with my NEO 212 and it's been well more than I've needed for any club in the Boston/NYC area.

For rehearsal, small-medium-sized gigs? You'll be running at 25% max. That 1001 is a LOUD amp.

3. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:
    I will mostly be using it in a rehearsal space (basement). Honestly, I don't know if its a II or a I RB head. On the actual head there is no "II" after the 1001RB. What is the difference between the two?? Is the II a better head?

4. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm guessing I have the II, due to the fact that it says "MARK II" on it underneath the 1001RB, correct??

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Does it say "Mark II" in red letters below and to the right of 1001RB? If not, you've got an older model. I don't know the difference between the original series and the Mark II series, but I suspect that the older series 1001 is still a beast. However, at 700W, you might be better off with a Neo 410 or 412. The rating on the Neo 212 is 600 W. But wattage is an odd duck; it's the primary metric we are given, but it doesn't always tell the story well.

http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products/cabinets/

7. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

I play a G-K NEO212 II with the Fusion 550. Two guitarists, drummer and keys and have no trouble anywhere.

8. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

OK then. You need something that can handle this beast. You're worried about not enough power? You need to be more worried about a cabinet that can handle this monster.

A GK 410 or 412. See link above.

9. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:
    Awesome, thanks Fret. I will definitely look into the 412. I would like the extra headroom actually because I do play harder considering I played for many years with lower wattage compared to most the bands I played with and I had to fight to be heard due to the fact I never had the money to buy enough power.

10. B-string

It is possible if it says Mk II on the bottom it may have been updated by G-K at some point. Mk II's have a slight voicing change, better cooling and more power than the Mk I's. Mark II's put put 480 watts at 8 ohms, the NEO212 II is rated at 600 watts and should handle the Mk II.

11. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Get some ear plugs. Seriously.

12. B-string

The 1001RB II and the NEO412 will damage buildings and troublesome guitarists. I know I also have the NEO412 series 1, it gets the duty at large outside gigs :D

13. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:
    Lots a help fellas, thanks a bunch. I really need to find an inexpensive/used cab. My budget is horribly limited. I suppose most are.

14. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

To clarify, the 1001RB-II is only rated at 700W when couped with a 4-ohm cabinet. With an 8-ohm cabinet, you're pushing 460W. So, the GK, 212 is still in play here.

Don't bother getting a 4-ohm cabinet. The volume difference between that and the same cabinet at 8 ohms is negligible. However, you will tax your head at 4 ohms. Get an 8-ohm cabinet, and if you need to play Madison Sq. Garden, add a second 8-ohm 212 to drive two cabinets at a net 4 ohms.

But again, the 1001 with a 212 will break glass and concrete.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    So fix the L pad in your Fender cab.

16. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:
    I know Jimmy, I in fact am. But I'm not sure I'm going to be happy with the Fender once I plug the GK RB II into it. I have the Hartke and Fender cabs and a the Yorkie 400. You guys honestly think I would get close to an even trade with these 3 items for a GK 212 Neo? I know that there are a lot of variables involved in re-selling items back to a store or trade ins but, the Hartke is practically brand new, and I'd really like to keep the Yorkie just in case the GK ever gives me problems I'll have a back up. And if they give me at least a few $10 dollar bills for the Fender (quite old and beat up) I'll be happy. I think I'd be able to possibly even grab a 412 for the 2 cabs. Who knows.....

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well far be it for me to pick gear for you, but you're almost always better off selling gear outright than trading it in.

18. wave rider

wave rider Supporting Member

19. B-string

True dat.

20. gregmon79

Media:
    Albums:
    No no I got'chya guys, I don't want you to pick my equip for me, I'm just curious if any of you have a lot of experience with trading in used gear for newer/used gear at a "major chain". Probably Sam Ash. Either way, thanks for all the info guys, this forum and all you
    have given me a lot of ideas/advice and its always appreciated. So, thanks!

21. B-string

Trades are usually a bad deal for you, good deal for them. If you are lucky they give 1/2 of the going used price.