1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

GK 212 quick question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by the_hotdog, Nov 9, 2013.

1. the_hotdog

the_hotdog

I am trying to sell my Ampeg 810 and already own a GK mbx410 cabinet. After selling the ampeg, I want to add a gk212 to my rig and run it with the 410. I don't know much about the build quality of the newer GK stuff, but my older mbx model is a monster sound wise and has about 150 shows under the belt with zero issues. Anyone have any recommendations on which 212 from GK they have experience with? Personally I like the neo line because a lot of bassists I emulate play the neo cabs. Thanks guys!
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I flat out love my Neo212-II. It holds its own against or bests cabs costing twice as much.
  3. mgbass

mgbass

I totally agree with Tom: I love these cabs and they are easy to move around. I have added a NEO 15" to it and it just does it all!
    MG

I flat out love my Neo212-II. It holds its own against or bests cabs costing twice as much.

Issue #12 now available!
  4. JMarsh

JMarsh Supporting Member

+1. I use a 212-II (once in a while two of them) with a Tone Hammer 500 or a MB800, and the sound and reliability have been spot on. Even better when you consider the price relative to other cabs.
  5. Jeb

Jeb

I've gigged the 212mbe for the past two years as a standalone in 4ohm. The only reason that I bought it was because it was 34lbs but it is a very good performing cab. I'll top it with either a Genz shuttle 6.2 or the Carvin BX500 depending on what I feel like.
  6. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    The 212 is a great cab but I still love my 810. What state are you in ? I would consider trading my 212 for your 810 if your in CT or pretty close.
  7. the_hotdog

the_hotdog

Well I am in Alabama lol or else I would immediately.
  8. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

I have the NEO212 II that is getting most of my gigs these days. It is a great cab!
  9. mouthmw

mouthmw Supporting Member

GK NEO 12s are awesome but I'm surprised no one chimed in on the "don't mix cabs" factor. Well, don't mix cabs, rather use 2 of the same. 2 x 212 would kill! I use gk neo 412 so I know just how monstruous that is.
  10. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

+1 My NEO412 gets the rest of the gigs I can fit it into ;)
  11. azureblue

azureblue

I have an MB212. It has plenty of power for me, by itself, and I play with a hard edge blues rock band. My suggestion would be to sell what you have and get 2 MB212's. Stack them. 500 Watts, 38lbs per cab. Total weight of 4 -12 rig -under 80 lbs and 1000 watts.
  12. the_hotdog

the_hotdog

Yeah I have always been a non mixer on cabs, and I I could afford the neo 412 I would have it. But as it is now I can't make that buy, and I've really never seen a problem from people mixing cabs. I use to mix the GK 410 with an acoustic 410 before I got the Ampeg. And amp wise I am using the markbass 800 so I have plenty of power to throw around.
  13. Davyo

Davyo

I would agree with the other posting on the GK MB212 series ll combo,,,, it's a KILLER lightweight rig, 37lbs with headroom to spare on just about any gig,,,, and great tone.

Cheers
    Davyo
  14. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

They aren't talking about mixing brands, bro, they're talking about mixing driver sizes. You can run an Ampeg 410 and a SWR 410 or a Markbass 212 and a Genz Benz 212 all day, if you want(might sound like crap, but hey??)...

The general consensus is that it's better to run cabs with the same size drivers(212/212) instead of "mismatched" sets(212/410). If you want to go the GK212 route, you be better off selling the 810 AND the 410 and getting either a 412 or two 212s. Or sell the 810 and get another 410. I'm ditching 10's and going to 12's myself. My 212 will be here Thursday!
  15. bumperbass

bumperbass

^ This. Great cab! The ONLY thing I don't LOVE about this cab is the shiny aluminum grille.
  16. wave rider

wave rider

I think tombowlus has a 410+212 rig, perhaps he can let you know how well the two combine.

=wr=
  17. tonym

tonym

I'm going the two Neo 112-ii route, and agree with you on the grill. But a can of Carbon Black Metallic paint and it's all good! :cool: Think it looks awesome now.

Attached Files:

18. deathsdj

deathsdj Supporting Member

I have had great results mixing cabs in the past. I'm especially fond of mixing 15's and 12's. I know there is some science to back up not mixing drivers but when i did it the sound was really good all over the room. Ears trump science!

These days I'm all 15's but only because it just happened to work out that way. Like most I buy used so I'm limited by what I can find at the right price in the right condition.

Cheers!

MJW
  19. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Nope. More chance success mixing sizes within brand range than mixing brands of same sizes. I happen to mix off brands, different sizes, and it sounds fine but it's not to be recommended either!
  20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yup, and IME/IMHO that combination works well together. I do subscribe to the general theory that stacking similar cabs will yield to more consistent, and generally more positive, results. And I did think that I would prefer two Neo212-II's, but after trying a bunch of GK cab combinations, I found that I liked the Neo410/Neo212-II stack the best (for a big rig).

For medium-sized gigs, I like the Neo212-II/Neo112-II stack, which violates another "rule" about stacking cabs with two drivers and cabs with one driver (where both cabs are 8 ohms). Yes, the driver in the 1x12 is seeing twice the power (and therefore the risk of blowing/damaging that driver is greater), but Bob Gallien says that this is fine - the Neo112-II can take it. In fact, Bob was the one who suggested this stack to me.

For smaller-sized to medium-sized gigs, I like two Neo112-II's.