GK 400rb with 410rbh cab..enough juice?????

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by homedentistry, Nov 19, 2012.

1. homedentistry

homedentistry

Hey there, was wondering if my 400rb will be powerful enough to run a gk410rbh cabinet? Thoughts, suggestions..cheers guys

2. bassramos

bassramos Supporting Member

Not really unless your going to play pretty quietly

3. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    Ive never used a 400rb but I know my 800rb is way louder then I have ever needed

4. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

well, you can't really under power a cabinet. are you asking if it will be loud enough for your respective situation?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Loud enough for what sort of gigs?

I've taken to playing my 400 more and more recently, specifically because I can crank the bejeezus out of it without being too loud. That through a pair of good spl 12's will carry any typical small bar/club gig and cover the stage at bigger stuff where we're all in the PA. I imagine any half-decent 410 should be about that loud.

Cool thing about those amps is they sound good when you crank them up, unlike a lot of SS amps where you want more than you need so you don't have to run them up towards full output.

Used mine on an outdoor gig last weekend. Yup, it was dimed on the master with the gain set fairly high as well. Did a great job, but that was about the extent of what it could do.

7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    400 sounds the same, just a little less power, little less output when run to the extreme limits. I have both, really like both, but have been using the 400 more just to be able to crank it up in smaller places. The 800 is a big stage amp.

8. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Yes...

Unless its not.

Baahahahaha!

Seriously though...

Im running my 8 ohm cab (410) with approximately 150 watts. My amp is rated 300 at 4 ohm. Its loud enough to me. I don't play gigs though. I doubt I would keep up with a loud guitar amp. The guys I play with are not super loud.

9. homedentistry

homedentistry

I've read lots of stuff in other threads about amps being underpowered, therefore not suitable for some cabs. I've used a 400rb to power a 2x15 with a 4x10 (amazing mesa cabs) and it sounded wicked. I'm not worried about the volume, but maybe a bit confused by some posts that talk about amps needing to be adequate to run high powered cabs.

10. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

I have a late 80's 400 RB. Played it with 2 4x10's or an 810...Plenty loud. A single 410 didnt cut it for me at the time..Nowadays it would work just fine.

11. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Stop reading that stuff.:p

Really, you could run fourtysixhundredandeleventythreequadrillion speakers off a single 1 watt amp and it wouldn't hurt a thing. 400rb gets loud....800 gets louder.

12. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

thank you will33......

13. homedentistry

homedentistry

Thankyou....am thinking I will just get it....the 410rbh i mean.....and yes, stop reading. Cheers

14. niki z

niki z Supporting Member

One of the best amps for the money IMO. It will easily drive a 4X10. The 800rb will give you some more headroom for a second or bigger cab if you decide to do that later. I found my '86 800rb for $250. Built like tanks and have a good DI.

15. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

The RBH cabs are very efficient cabs and will sound stellar with the 400RB. The only case that I am aware of where the amp power really matters is with Acme cabs (they list a min. power input). Acme tunes their cabs in a special way that requires a powerful amp.

16. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Get the 4 ohm version of the cab if you can. 410rbh is a crazy loud cab.

17. jg919

jg919

Hi!
    I have an '86 800rb also, and run it through an English Ash down 4x10. The GK heads are brilliantly loud, but may I also suggest getting a sans amp bass driver DI - for the DI function, (as the 400 and 800rb heads don't have a brilliant DI) and the depth it can add to your signal. A sans amp will really make your bass sound huge through the GK! And the different flavour of overdrive is a great bonus!
    Cheers, john.