1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

GK 400rb

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassrock, Nov 18, 2013.

1. bassrock

bassrock

For a few years now i have been dreaming of owning a gallien krueger head. I have played through or owned many different brands of amps. Although most of them were excellent sounding, i was never really satisfied. Something was always lacking.
    After extensive research on TB, I figured I had better try GK. So the other day I got my 400rb ii that I won off ebay.
    Well, when i plugged into it, set it all flat, turned it on and played a few notes, something crazy happened. I was instantly pissed at myself for wasting money on other amps. I really wished i would of bought a GK a long time ago. It would of saved me alot of headaches. Anyway, this is the sound I've been searching for. I love everything about it. And oh my lord is that boost a beautiful thing!
  2. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Congratulations !
    I played one for almost 13 years as my main amp and it never failed once...
    Quite the tone eh ?
    Hope it gives you as many years of playing joy as mine did/does me, with today's cabs, that thing can move some serious air :)
  3. bassrock

bassrock

Thank you! Oh the tone is outstanding. For some reason its not letting me post a pic of it on here.
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Your pic must be too big or you have too much stored already.

Mind the contour, or you'll vanish into a low rumble in the mix.
  5. bassrock

bassrock

Learned my lesson on that once. Now i always pay attention to the mids.
  6. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

Great catch!

I have the same one and love it!
    Loved it so much that I got a 800RB!
    ENJOY!!!
  7. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

Congratulations man! Personally like the contour and hi boost a lot
  8. 4Strings71

4Strings71

Congratulations bassrock, GK all the way i say!
    I too have played many Amps but always come back to my 800RB. It's a beast and has tone for days. Enjoy your 400RB :)
  9. dougjwray

dougjwray

Congratulations!
    I recently posted about getting a great deal on a '93 GK 400RBII. I got it as a backup for my 400RB, which I purchased new in 1985, and which has never failed me. Over the years, I've tried and sold other amps and have always come back to it.
    I also have a GK 1001RBII and a GK MB200, and they're cool, too. But there's something special about the 400RB. :hyper: For me, it's particularly something in the mids.
    Anyway, they have fantastic tone, they last forever and they're much louder than they "should" be.
    Enjoy it!
  10. dannylectro

dannylectro

To be clear, the GK 400RB II is a different animal from the original GK 400RB. I've never played through the 2nd gen version and won't comment about that. I do own several of the original 400RB's, some newer with detachable power cord, and some older without and have to say that I've never found a better, more durable, dependable-as-a-rock amp in 30+ years of playing. And they sound great through almost anything, though I am partial to them through an Ampeg 410 when I feel like moving that beast. But they also sound great through a modern neo 112, and with every bass I own. Welcome aboard!
  11. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Disclosures:
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    Much love for my 400RB Mark IV <--- whatever that means. But it was US made, super cheap and made it's way from a backup head to my main grab'n'go amp.
  12. bassrock

bassrock

Hope this pic works.

Attached Files:

13. le ste

le ste

Since i one day plugged in a 400RB, never looked back. I upgraded to 700RB for more power and this bi-amp feature: amp quest finished. viva Gallien Krueger !
  14. dougjwray

dougjwray

15. bassrock

bassrock

Thanks dougjwray. Ill have to order some.
  16. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Hmm....I painted lines on mine with pink nail polish. :)

Yup, love my 400rb. For me and my speakers and my gigs, it is at the perfect power level to crank the snot out of it and get it growling and grinding and "hitting the rails" and end up at just the right loudness for almost everything I do. Never so much as a hiccup running her hard like that either. Headroom schmeadroom. :p