1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

GK 400RB

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Scott Sauna, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Scott Sauna

Scott Sauna

So my dream amp head is a GK 700rb, not because of the power, but because of the great tone. I absolutely love how it sounds with my P bass and an Ampeg cab. Will a 400rb give me a similar tone with less power? 400 watts is still above my power requirement and its cheap so that I really great.
  2. garp

garp

The 400RB isn’t capable of 400 watts RMS. The original 400RB was rated at only 200W, and the current iteration — the 400RB-IV — is rated 280W @ 4Ω. I’ve got a 400RB-IV and a 700RB-II. Both do the G-K thing with aplomb.
  3. dougjwray

dougjwray

Yes, the original 400RB is only 200 watts into 4 ohms, but, as has often been said around here, GK amps sound louder than they "should." I've never been in a live situation where I've needed more volume than I've gotten from mine (purchased new in 1985). What you do get from the more powerful heads is more clean bottom end (that chest vibrating, pants flapping thing); but that can sometimes be too much for certain rooms, and the 400RB's articulate midrange works better in those situations. (For me.)
    BTW, in October I picked up an additional one at Guitar Center for just over $100. It's a 1994 one (a "mark II", with detached power cord) and it sounds just as good as the original. So, you can find amazing deals on these things. They are classic amps.