GK 410MBE vs. Hartke 410XL

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by rolliefingers, Jan 2, 2013.

1. rolliefingers

rolliefingers

hey folks - hopefully I'm not repeating a previous thread. I'm looking for opinions/thoughts on these two cabs. Which is better? Anyone have experience with these? Preferably any feedback on using either one with a GK 1001RB-II (not in conjunction with a 2nd cab as i have limited car space)... Thanks in advance for your advice.
  2. SpinyNorman

SpinyNorman Supporting Member

I assume weight is not a factor? The GK is 41 lbs, while the Hartke is a hefty 88 lbs.

The Hartke does not have a horn, if that's important to you.

I have the Hartke, and if you love its (overly) clean sound, it gives you a lot of bang for the buck ($400) compared to other non-Neo cabs 410's.
  3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

Spec wise, I believe the GK cab would be much louder. I was never a fan of the Hartke 410XL and the aluminum speakers. Lots of high end, good lows, but it definitely was missing warmth/mud in the low mids which I find integral to cutting through in a rock band.

I could not find the specs for the GK 410MBE, but through using it a few times, I definitely liked the tone. Paper cone speakers usually make me happy. :hyper:

Dual-Chamber, Dual-Ported Cabinet
    Four Hartke XL 10" Aluminum-Cone Bass Drivers
    Power Handling: 400 Watts @ 8 Ohms
    Frequency Response: 30 Hz To 5 kHz
    Sensitivity: 98 dB @ 1 W/1 M
    Voice Coil: 1.5"
    Magnet Weight: 60 Oz.
    Parallel 1/4" Inputs
    Dimensions: 24"(H) X 24"(W) X 15"(D)
    Weight: 88 lb.
  4. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    I believe that GK can is sealed also.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

7. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
  8. B-string

Well it would not be the first typo on a spec sheet ;)
    To the OP you have a 1001RB II, why not go with the NEO410 so you can use the head's HMS for the horn?
  9. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Im pretty sure its a typo. I believe worship rocker bought 2 of them specifically because they were sealed. The Neo line is nicer. The build on the MBE is a bit flimsy to save weight from what I have read. I wish the Neo's were available in a sealed cabinet. and a sealed 6X10 would be king !
  10. AcridSaint

AcridSaint ベーシスト Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I don't play well.
    Build quality aside, I don't care for the GK NEO voicing as much as some of their "lower end" cabs. I've been thinking for some time about trading off my 112. Having heard the 410MBE and played through it, I also think it's a good sounding cab.

I think what no one here is going to be able to tell you is if you'll like the sound of the Hartke or the GK better. They have very different sounds.
  11. B-string

+1 and everyone else wants to hear something at least slightly different.
  12. joelb79

joelb79

Hartke stuff is built like a tank, but I never could get my 410XL to handle lots of wattage. My tonal goals have changed since then; as I was a young kid who thought goosing the lows would give me "the tone." But I recently checked out the 410MBE and construction wise the hartke is a tank and the GK is a used rusted pinto. My hartke had very thick braced plywood construction, and the carpet covering was high quality and lasted 15 years without damage. The GK had 1/2" thick particle board construction with loosely fitted tolex that looks cheap. Certainly not up to par with the 80's GK 410 I'm used to using at a blues jam. That thing cannot be hurt no matter what.

If you want something that can last, take the Hartke. But just do not expect to get much below 100hz from it and boosting under 100hz into it will get you into over-excursion quickly. However, aside from my Epifani UL410 I have never met a 410 I could not make fart out. The hartke just seemed to do that quicker when I was a kid. But I did love that 31hz slider on that head.

FWIW: I had a Hartke 7000 head, 410XL and 115XL. I ran the 7000 in biamp mode putting under 250hz to the 15 and above to the 410. that worked great for me and I NEVER overpowered the 410 ever. The 115 was just an expensive speaker stand though I have come to find out.
  13. rolliefingers

rolliefingers

I've got a line these two cabinets used in my price range - just debating on whether I should wait for something "better" to come along or if one of these will work nicely - haven't had a chance to try the GK - I like the hartke's in general, but am concerned it might not be loud enough... I need a cab that's roughly 16" deep or less to jam it into my car... I appreciate the responses.
  14. SpinyNorman

How about a 2x12? Size wise it'll be able to fit in just about any back seat, and a good 212 will keep up with either of these 410s.
  15. rolliefingers

rolliefingers

Actually, the GK cab i was considering has been sold... I like 10's - never played thru a 2 x 12.. I'll have to check that out. thanks for the input..
  16. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    The 212 neos are nice, I kinda liked my old swr 410 better but it weighed twice as much as the 212 and wouldnt fit in my Impreza. I can get two 212 neo in my back seat and have plenty of room for my basses and 8 space rack.
  17. SpinyNorman

After playing through large, heavy stacks for 30 years, I've recently decided to give my back a break, and start experimenting with various "micro" rigs. I picked up an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500, and a pair of Genz Benz Focus 112 cabinets. I also have an Aguilar DB112 on the way, and will likely check out a few other 1x12 cabinets over the next few months.

The new 12 inch drivers appear to be fantastic. I would expect a good 212 cabinet to be wonderful, and a pair more than enough for any gig with PA support.

In one of the recent threads discussing 12's someone mentioned that anything that's loud enough to overpower the drummer is too much, and it's time to plug in to the PA.