GK 700RB-II Woofer Hi-Cut Question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by J.Po, Jan 9, 2014.

1. J.Po

J.Po

Hoping someone can help verify a possible issue....

I bought a used 700RB-II after Christmas and am trying to fine tune my DI signal. From what I've read at TB (and according to the manual Block Diagram), the woofer hi-cut should work whether using a full range cab, a GK HMS cab, or even cab-less (which is how I was running it).

I don't seem to be getting any cut of frequencies over 5K at all. In fact, with the Woofer Hi-Cut engaged I'm actually getting a slight boost in lows and low-mids - according to Logic's EQ analyzer.

I don't currently have a GK HMS cab to test with, but there wasn't an audible 5k+ cut running full range with my crappy Behringer BB210 (2x10" with horn on) either.

I'm assuming that the switch should do something similar as a Low Pass Filter in Logic, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I even went to the extreme of cranking the Contour, Presence, and High EQ just to make sure the change wouldn't be subtle and it still didn't cut anything.

Could someone please chime in and let me know what occurs in their 700RB? I'm trying to figure out if I should return it and spend the extra $ on a brand new one or take my chances on the 1-year warranty I bought.

Thanks for any info/advice!

-Jon
  2. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    The woofer hi cut should hve no effect on your DI signal.

Are you sure you can actually hear 5 k with that cab ? There could be a very large hole inthe frequency response above the 10's and where the horn kicks in. When I ran a 1001 RB II and Bag End 2x0 and tweet, I would say that the woofer hi cut was subtle. IIRC the hi cut isn't a very steep cut. 6 db, 12 db per octave... Wth logic you can dial in a very extreme lpf... Lpf as effect or frequency slotting makes total sense in recording, not so much in crossovers.

That cab crossed at 3.5 k and used a very efficient 1 " Eminence thread on horn driver. There really isn't a lit of signal up in the 5 k region with bass guitar... My guss is that your head is fine and that you are expecting something more dramatic ...
  3. J.Po

J.Po

Ok, cool. The block diagram was confusing me since they show the DI run after the Woofer Hi-Cut/Crossover, so thanks for the clarification!

I wouldn't be surprised if it did. I typically have the horn off as it's too shrill - with or without the Hi-Cut engaged. I also plan on swapping out the backplate and wiring in a 4-connector input so I can test out the Bi-Amp.

Appreciate the help and information!
  4. songwriter21

songwriter21 Bassist for Chris Higbee Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sponsored by Gallien-Krueger
    I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but my Markbass cab is the only cab that I've owned, where the horn actually isn't shrill, even at max volume.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The woofer Hi-cut "rolls off" frequencies above 5 KHz, it doesn't stop them.
    The tweeter horn in my G-K NEO412 is very smooth and natural sounding, so much so it seems subtile if you don't put your ear right up to it.
    The perceived increase in lows/mids is probably do to the more narrow bandwidth to be amplified.