1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

GK 700rb Safety Mode

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Cromwell, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Cromwell

Cromwell

Hello everyone!

I'm wondering if anyone can advise me about how to avoid my amp going into safety mode? Playing quietly isn't an option with the band I'm in, but I'm out of my knowledge zone with amps so if anyone can help me I'd be much obliged!

I'm in a doom band, which means we have(!) to play very loudly live. At rehearsals I use the studio's '90s GK 400rb, and it's a total warhorse and no matter what I do volume and level wise it holds out and sounds amazing!

I just bought a GK 700rb II, and last night it went into safety mode mid-song at nowhere near the level I'd push the one at the studio.

Is there something I'm obviously doing wrong?!?

I use a Boss overdrive pedal, and I tend to run the levels at 1/3 with the bass knob at 2/3. Volume, in rehearsals I can happily run the 400 at 6, but last night I was on 4. I'd selected 5 string button, as we're tuned to G,D,G,C, and the rest of the buttons I'd left at the manuals recommended 'rock' settings.

I'm wary to have the safety circuity turned off as I'd invalidate my warranty, but I'm not sure what else to do. Most new amps I've borrowed all do the same thing, including an Orange 1000w head (I blew the valves on that whilst recording). All I'm after is my 700rb doing what the 400rb does.

Thank you.

2. teemuk

teemuk

The protection mode is toggled when the amp has for sustained time period conducted current that is past its safe limits. In other words, it's saving your $$$ amp from turning into a non-functioning boat anchor.

Why on earth would you want to disable the protection?

I definitely wouldn't loan my amps to you.

Are you using proper impedance load?

3. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

First things first, turn that 5 strings switch off and never turn it back on. That thing is basically a volume suck and puts to much low end in the EQ

What do you mean your volume was on 4? Are you talking about the Volume (gain) knob or the Woofer (master vol) knob?

4. mrmills

mrmills

Or firing speaker cones across the room turning your cabs into cumbersome paper weights...

Seems you are pushing the amp too hard for the conditions.

What cabs are you using? The amp can't drive anything less than a combined 4ohm load.

Does the amp get decent ventilation?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mbelue

mbelue

You've talked about amps but what cabs are you using?
    Could be that one of them is damaged.

7. Cromwell

Cromwell

Thank you for the replies guys, much appreciated.

I should add that the o/p was somewhat tongue in cheek, I'm not some 15 year old amp destroyer with absolutely no idea what I'm doing, I've been in bands for 15 years and am only now having this problem so want to adjust what I'm doing, so was seeking advice. Thanks again to you all!

I don't, at all, I want to work within it seeing as I just paid £500 for it, and I love the sound of it.

Yes, I think so. 4 ohm head to 4 ohm cab when I'm using other people's cabs.

When headlining I use my own cab, which I've just had fixed. 700w 4x12 in a 5' cabinet. I'm running it through that on Sunday at rehearsal to see how it goes.

8. Cromwell

Cromwell

Ok, that's grand advice re the volume, as that's partly what I'm after. However, all the punch at the bottom end is what I'm after. I don't use much top end, it's doom rather than 'normal' bass playing, plus I use a lot of feedback in songs.

I did another gig since the o/p and it held up fine. What I'm after is a wall of bass low end, like bands such as SUNN O))) for example, rather than sounding like Geezer Butler or someone who plays a distinct bass sound.

Yes, volume. Woofer I left at the setting the manual suggested for 'rock' sound.

9. Cromwell

Cromwell

When supporting other bands and I use their cabs I always check the ohms and match it up (I even get the guitarist to double check as he's more techy). My one, as stated above, is 700w 4x12, which might be fine, I'm yet to test drive it.

Another issue is that my bass used to active, but I had it disabled to passive years ago when I played very differently in normal metal bands. A guy checked it lately and said it's very quiet in output, so now I'm after volume I'm driving the head to loud to get the volume. As such I'm getting it made active again to check that.

Having said that, some amps are fine with this bass, and I've actually recorded nearly 14 hours straight using huge amounts of bass feedback and not had any problem. This is what's puzzling me, why do some amps handle recording an 11 hour doom song, yet some go into safety 15 mins into a set?

Might sound dumb to you guys, but reckon that'll be all the problem is, or is it likely I'm more mismatching the cabs?

In the studio, with the GK 400rb that I've never had any issues with, it runs through a 4x12 and a 2 x 16, so is it likely I just need to save up for that too?!

Until a while ago I just used a Peavey TNT combo, which I loved, but it sadly got knicked, so it's only in this band I've had to learn the amp / cab right combinations, etc.

Thank you all again, much appreciated!

10. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

And what is that set to? How about the boost? While you're at it, where are the rest of the settings?

I'd suggested using a clockface as a template, I.E. a knob pointing straight up is 12:00 rather than "5" or whatever it would be.

11. Cromwell

Cromwell

Volume 10:00 (the 400rb at studio happily sits at 1:00)
    Voicing 7:00 (all the way anticlockwise)
    Treble 10:00
    Hi mid 10:00
    Low mid 10:00
    Low 2:00
    Boost 12:00
    Tweeter 12:00
    Woofer 12:00

Woofer hi-cut button is off.

Thanks bassgod.

12. Hopkins

Ok, try to set your low mids at about 2:00 and your Lows at about noon. Back the Boost down to about 10 and turn your Master vol up to compensate for the loss in volume. Good job on not using that Contour knob.

13. Cromwell

Cromwell

Cool, cheers, I shall try that.

I'm running it through my own cab tomorrow at rehearsal so will push it then.

Fingers crossed! We're playing with a colossally loud and heavy band at end of March on a few dates of their tour, so we're trying to get our backline up to give them a run for their money!

14. Hopkins

If your rig isn't loud enough it's not really the heads fault, I would look at the cab. Those amps have plenty of power.

15. Cromwell

Cromwell

Ok, that's also what I was looking for. We often borrow other cabs as the one I use is pretty heavy and it's not practical if we're not headlining. Looking like we might buy a 2x15 to go with it, so if we use other people's cabs I can just take that along too, instead of my one, so I don't have these issues.

I used it yesterday, turned the mid-low up to 2 as suggested, and played around between 12 - 2 for the low to see how the cones coped. Bit of rattling, volume at 10:00, and the limiter barely flickered so that's a great start. That should hopefully be ok for live if I use other people's equipment too, fingers crossed. (I should add, I've never damaged someone else's cab, I'm not that careless - pushing my own stuff is one thing, but I'm not a total wally).

Getting the pick-ups fixed today, so after that I can see how loud the head can go without there being any problems.

Thanks again guys.

[​IMG]